Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.

Hi , I have an element, flatscreen tv. It will not turn

Hi ,

I have an element, flatscreen tv. It will not turn on. If I unplug it for a few minutes and then plug it bavck in, the red light comes on But when I hit the power button on the remote, The blue, On, light comes on for only seconds, then shuts down again.

I have also tryed unplugging the cable wire and the power cord and left them off all night.
My TV is only a couple of years old.

Is there some kind of a reset button, or should I just throw it in the dumpster.

We are retired and on a very limited income, as I am sure you care. tee hee

Any suggestions that you may have are greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.
Parker, Az

There are a couple of things that could cause this, unfortunately there is no reset for this televisions and it will have an internal failure at this point. I will try to explain the possibilities the best I can.

First you could have a failure in the power supply, we have seen some capacitors fail in your model and cause funky problems like this. If this is the case you could be looking at somewhere around $175-$200 to fix the set. IF the power supply had to be replaced you could be looking at $350

Next could be the main board, this would not be good news because you could be looking at $400-$500 for the repair (I know this is up there in the price range and most likely getting over the cost of a new set)

Lastly you could have a problem with the panel itself, this would mean a new set for sure because the part cost is more than a new set. The panel in your tv is about $800 just for the part.

Any of these could cause your problem, but it will require troubleshooting to determine the exact cause of your problem. If you have experience, and test equipment and would like to attempt some troubleshooting I will be happy to assist you, however if you do not have equipment or experience then you would need a repairman at this time to get an exact diagnosis. I am sorry that I don't have a quick fix or easy answer for you on this one, it is definitely an internal failure.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please never accept an answer until you are 100% satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback. If I have answered your questions and met your needs then please press the green "accept" button. Otherwise please feel free to ask anything else to get your problem resolved. Positive feedback is always appreciated!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks Tim for your prompt reply. I kind of suspected that the TV in now worthless.

I will just dispose of it and buy a new one when we get back to Wa. state.

I really do appreciate this service on-line and I wont be buying another element brand TV set.

Thanks again