Chuck Williams
Chuck Williams, Technician
Experience:  Over 25 years of experience servicing AV electronics to component level, ISF and THX Cert.
13758627

i have a panasonic viera tv but can not get any sound, i do

i have a panasonic viera tv but can not get any sound, i do have sound through the dvd though. what is the problem? and will it be a viable repair?
Category: TV
Expert:  Chuck Williams replied 4 years ago.

Hi!

Are you saying you have sound coming from the TV when you use the DVD player, but not TV? And you have physically taken this TV to another location and gotten the same results?

If so, how do you get TV, is it cable, satellite, or antenna?

If cable, do you use a set top box or does the cable come from the wall and screw into the connector on the back?

If you use a high def cable box, are you using the 5 wire component video connection between the box and the TV, or are you using HDMI?

Chuck

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi, yes the sound is coming from the tv when played through the dvd and yes tried tv at different location with the same results.

it was cable but i have now fixed it 2 a free sat box using the connections from the old sky system. perfect picture but no sound. Using hdmi to connect.

I have recently brought the tv back from Germany where it was working perfectly. It was packaged as new in transit,

Very good, let us know if we can ever help!

Chuck

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi chuck,

Sorry but i still have no sound! through the tv, just thought there may have been some reason that bringing it from Germany would have on the sound?

oops, sorry, I misread that you had fixed the problem.

HDMI is definitely the culpret, and no-sound issues are one of HDMI's many nettlesome issues.

You might try unplugging the power to the set top box for 30 seconds, plug it back in, and see if that fixes it.

But if it does, I can guarantee you that this will happen from time to time, and for the time being, that's the fix. HDMI holds great promise for ease of connectivity and use, but the bugs are hardly worked out, and keeping the HDMI connection happy can be a major pain.

Unless you really need the HDMI connection and are willing to put up with its occasional hiccups, you might consider using the 5 wire component video hook up. You will get the essentially the same full HD performance minus the HDMI hassles.

Hope that helps, let me know if there's anything else I can do, and thanks for using JustAnswer!

Chuck

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

sorry Chuck, but i have tried the Tv with scart cables as well with no luck. I wonder if a component could have been damaged in transit. Also the guy that owned the tv in Germany only ever played dvds through it. should i call someone out?

mike

Mike, I can't think of any common defect that would make the set normally for DVD, but no other input. Is the DVD player built into this TV (I only have reliable access to info on US models)?

Chuck

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi Chuck,

No it's a seperate dvd player although when i played the dvd the volume was constant and didn't go up or down from remote or tv control>

Well, I'm sorry, but if the sound works for that, I just can't think of a reason why the SCART connector sound won't work. HDMI, maybe, but the SCART is just another analog input.

Clearly something is broken, and I guess you're going to have to call someone, but at least the set isn't too broken, I just don't have enough data to tell you what the problem might be.

Let me know if you want me to opt out and let another Expert take a shot at this.

Chuck

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no that's great thanks, XXXXX XXXXX think the sets viable for repair i'll call someone out.

thanks for your help

mike

I definitely think it's viable for repair. Even if it costs too much to fix the audio, you always have the option of treating this just as a video monitor and using an outboard audio system for the sound.

If you found my advice helpful, would you mind clicking the Accept icon so that I may be paid for my time? I'd greatly appreciate it!

Chuck

Chuck Williams, Technician
Experience: Over 25 years of experience servicing AV electronics to component level, ISF and THX Cert.