TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician
Experience:  30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.

We are getting no sound through our directv receiver. Sound

We are getting no sound through our directv receiver. Sound works fine through blu ray player. Earlier today I unplugged everything and got rid of the magenta "hdmi handshake". The picture came back on correctly, but still no sound. Help!
Category: TV
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 6 years ago.

Yes, that is where your problem is at.

Normally when you start seeing the HDMI connection producing a Magenta picture and you end up having to turn the TV or Direct TV box off and on to correct it, it's showing you the HDMI is starting to fail. My HDMI kept going green and locking up more and more to the point it finally took 6 months.

I finally switched over the box to Component cabling and I have never had any problems with it for the last 14 months. It's a good alternative to consider. But hopefully you can contact Direct TV and swap the box with no costs to you.

If you have any more questions, just ask.

Thank you

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Should we contact directv or Best Buy where we bought (leased) the box?
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 6 years ago.

I guess it's important to know if it's leased or not. Only Direct TV can actually answer that question. I'd give them a call first and see if it is leased or owned. You should also ask if they take trade in on owned units or not.

They'll probably offer a couple options if you do own it.

If you have any questions, just ask.

Thank you