Chuck Williams
Chuck Williams, Technician
Experience:  Over 25 years of experience servicing AV electronics to component level, ISF and THX Cert.
13758627

I have an LG 32LC2D LCD flatscreen. When I turn the power on,

Customer Question

I have an LG 32LC2D LCD flatscreen. When I turn the power on, it is extremely slow to come on, and sometimes won't come on at all. There are tiny vertical lines in different colors on the screen. What can I do to fix this problem?
Category: TV
Expert:  Chuck Williams replied 4 years ago.

Hi!

I'm afraid this doesn't sound good...

I'm guessing these lines are there regardless of which input you select or what screen format you select, correct?

And these lines never move from one part of the screen to another, they are always in the exact same position, correct?

I wish I had better news for you, but if those lines show up in exactly the same place every time on all inputs and formats, the problem is the actual panel (the screen) itself.

Unless this is under warranty, this is going to be a major expense to fix, and is precisely why I urge anyone who buys a current technology HDTV to get an extended warranty. All of these TV's, regardless of whether it's plasma, LCD, or rear projection, have large and expensive assemblies that cannot be fixed, and must be replaced.

Definitely get an estimate from a tech, but be prepared for a real shocker.

Let me know if there's anything else I can do for you, and thanks for using JustAnswer!

Chuck

Chuck Williams, Technician
Experience: Over 25 years of experience servicing AV electronics to component level, ISF and THX Cert.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The lines eventually go away and the tv comes on. I can also turn the tv off and then on again, and it comes right on without the lines. Does that sound better? I was wondering if it might be the power board?

Actually that does sound better, but no, it's not the power supply.

When this problem is happening, are you saying there is no picture at all, just these lines?

The next time this happens (and I guess it happens every time you turn the set on), press the TV's MENU button (not a cable box menu, but the TV menu). Does the menu come on screen, and if so, are the lines obstructing the menu?

And thanks for the Accept!

Chuck

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The menu doesn't come on screen, but I get more and more lines until eventually the picture comes on and the lines go away.

And when it starts working, everythihng is fine for the rest opf the time the set is on? If you turn the set off then immediately back on, is it still OK?

Chuck

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yep. I've had to pretty much turn it off and back on a couple of times each time I want to watch. Usually on the 2nd or 3rd time I turn it off and on, it works perfectly.

But if you just turn it on, it acts up, but then will always correct itself?

If it's cold, can you sometimes repeatedly turn it off and on and get it to work or must it always be warm?

Chuck

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It must always be warm. It never wants to come on right away if it's been off for a while.

I'm not sure if it always corrects itself, because I get too impatient and just turn it off and back on again, but the times that I have let it sit there, it has come on, but just takes a really long time.

Well, then it still sounds like it could be the screen, but there is a possibility thyat the problem is the digital main board, and there's really no easy way for you to tell.

There are basically 3 things in an LCD TV: the Power Supply, the Digital Main circuit board, and the actual LCD screen itself. The power supply isn't suspect because the set comes on, responds to commands, and otherwise works.

But the Digital Main and the screen have elaborate handshaking and communication that has to continually happen, and if one or the other interrupts this, then there are all sorts of picture problems that can happen. But that's also why I asked about the TV's menu, because if it looks OK, then the screen is obviously not at fault.

But if it has to warm to start working, the backlight in the screen will warm up the screen the longer it's on, so that makes the screen suspect, but there are also components on the Digital Main that get normally warm, too, so that complicates it.

If you are comfortable opening the set, I do have one test that may isolate this to the screen or the DM, and it involves "circuit cooling" spray (I think you can get this at any Radio Shack, but I can also tell you where to order it on line). And what you do is simply wait for the set to start working, turn it off, then spray this coolant on the DM board, turn it on, and see if the set comes right back on (because the screen is still warm) or if it's back to lines.

Let me know if you'd like to try that.

Otherwise, of course, you'd have to get a tech involved.

Chuck

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Will this fix the problem, or just isolate the issue? If it fixes the problem, I'll feel more comfortable opening up the tv. If it just isolates the problem, I may want to take it somewhere to be fixed and not mess with it myself.

No, this definitely will not fix it, it will just tell you whether or not it's the screen (probably dump the TV) or whether it's this board (worth fixing).

Chuck