James, Technician
Experience:  AV Service Engineer (4 Years)

Our Sanyo flat screen TV wont turn on. The last couple of

Our Sanyo flat screen TV won't turn on. The last couple of weeks or so it has been turning off when you turn it on and then we've had to unplug it, let it sit a few minutes and then turn it on again. This morning it won't turn on at all, we've tried unplugging it and letting it sit but no luck. This TV is only 2 years old so we are really frustrated, any help would be greatly appreciated!
Category: TV
Expert:  James replied 6 years ago.
Hi There,

Typically this is an issue down to a few faulty capacitors on the PSU board. Usually you can open up the TV, and look for bad / bulging capacitors on the board, swap these out and the TV should start working perfectly again, providing there are no other issues.

When you unplug the TV for a couple of hours this allows the capacitors to discharge and reset, this explains why the first few times that you unplugged from the wall it started working again.

You do need to be pretty compentant with electronics to attempt this repair, let me know if you are, and I will tell you what to look for.

Otherwise I'd suggest taking it to a local electronics repair shop, parts wise as long as the power supply is the only board at fault, you'd be looking at around $40 of parts, and then an hour or two worth of labor for someone to swap them out.

Hope this helps