Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.

How do I get my Apex tv in monitor mode

Customer Question

How do I get my Apex tv in "monitor" mode
Category: TV
Expert:  Louie replied 6 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Initially, the MONITOR OUT jacks at the rear of the Apex are AV signal outputs intended for 2nd monitor or for recording purposes such as when connected to a VCR / DVD recorder. These are automatically enabled except when the video signal input of the Apex is using component video.

Or is the objective to connect a desktop / laptop to the Apex?

Good luck and thank you for asking JustAnswer.

Edited by Benimur on 2/25/2010 at 6:23 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok the objective is to connect my laptop to the TV itself I assumed it was the monitor jacks that where needed...I ran a VGA to RCA connector from the laptop to the TV and I heard a bried noise from the TV, and no video...So my actual question is how do I get the laptop to displayon my Apex television?
Expert:  Louie replied 6 years ago.
What are the colors of the RCA plugs on one end of the VGA to RCA cable?

If they are green, blue and red, then these would have to be connected to Component Video Input marked Y, PB & PR respectively. The Apex's remote VIDEO button must be pressed a couple of times to cycle through the choices or till YPbPr2 or YPbPr1 is displayed (depending on which component input,1 or 2 is used).

Depending on the laptop, the external video must be enabled by pressing Fn + F? a couple of times. The F? would be one of the Function keys with the monitor icon. Choices are: laptop LCD display only, LCD + external TV/Monitor, external TV/Monitor only.

You may have to lower the Screen Resolution of the Display Properties of the laptop and verify that it is set to 60Hz Screen Refresh Rate. Both are adjustable in the Display Properties, Settings tab (and Advanced button, Monitor tab).

Edited by Benimur on 2/25/2010 at 6:38 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok I think I'm starting to get it your help is great so colors on the oppostite end of the VGA cord are RED YELLOW AND WHITE so I hooked them up to the AV1 option..I selected "graphics properties" on the computer and it gave me the option of display devices: single and multiple...under single it reads "Notebook"...under multiple it reads "Two displays must be connected to the computer to display this feature. Please connect another display"...any suggestions?
Expert:  Louie replied 6 years ago.
Interesting that the colors are yellow, white & red as these are normally reserved for composite video out (yellow) while the white & red are for the audio left & right. You are correct in trying the AV1 option as that is composite, yellow to yellow. If it works but is black & white, please postback.

Set the laptop to 2 displays with the VGA to RCA yellow connected to the VIDEO in of AV1. Press Apex's remote to show AV1.

You may have to set the Screen Resolution to the lowest possible.

Edited by Benimur on 2/25/2010 at 6:56 AM EST