Edward
Edward, Technician
Experience:  40+ years in TV repair. Electronics Technician for 40+ years. 50+ as a hobby.
3134513

My JVC tv wont turn on. The blue and red lights go on, but

My JVC tv won't turn on. The blue and red lights go on, but then start rapid, constant blinking. Same when I turn it off. I've disconnected power (to reboot) but no change. And, I can hear a bit of intermittent whirring as the power is trying to shut down.I hope you can help us!
Thanks very much!
XXXXX XXXXXndsay (San Diego)
Category: TV
Expert:  Edward replied 4 years ago.

What is the model number of the TV? The model number will be displayed on a tag on the back of the TV near where the power cord is attached.

How long have you owned the TV?

When was the last time you replaced the lamp?

.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The back of the tv is hard to get to, but my manual indicates HD-56G886 or HD-56G786. Maybe that info is enough for you? (I can try to get to it in the morning when help is here)

We replaced the lamp about 1 year ago. It has been replaced about yearly since we bought it new 4 1/2 years ago. (obviously, we use it a lot) BUT always in the past we have gotten a warning notice onscreen that the lamp needs replacement well in advance. This time there was no warning.

The lights are blinking simultaneously. Thank you for trying!

Expert:  Edward replied 4 years ago.

Sorry about the delayed response but I have had several customers needing help. I have to take them as they come in. There is a good chance that the lamp is causing the problem. A defective lamp will not always prompt the on screen lamp needs to be replaced warning. As the lamp gets age on it the lamp will draw more than it should. The safety circuitry of the TV will detect the problem and shut the TV down. Make sure that the area around the fan is clean and that the fan is actually coming on. The only way to know for sure what is causing the problem, which parts that are no longer within factory specs and for proper repair all the electronics must be diagnosed by someone with the correct electronic test equipment and the skills to use the test equipment.

Should you require further clarification, never hesitate to ask. It would be my pleasure to clarify my answer to your question. If after reviewing the above information, you have additional questions, I will be glad to answer them. My goal is your 100% satisfaction with all questions I answer.

Please click the green ACCEPT icon if you feel I have given a complete answer, and you can leave positive feedback. Positive feedback and bonuses are always greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Edward

As always when using Just Answer your accept is required for me to be paid. By accepting you are agreeing that I have satisfactorily answered your questions. If you do not accept, your deposit if applicable, will remain in your Just Answer's account until you request otherwise.

graphic

Please do not accept unless you are 100% satisfied with the answer and feel you can leave positive feedback.

Edward, Technician
Experience: 40+ years in TV repair. Electronics Technician for 40+ years. 50+ as a hobby.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks, Edward. I'll see if a local repair service can confirm your thoughts. If there are further electrical problems, I'm fearing that repairs could be extremely costly, plus the new lamp.

Since our set is 4 1/2 yrs old, if it were yours, would you put a possible $400-$700 in it, or would you "bite the bullet" and get a new one?

I will definitely "Accept Answer", but I would just like your candid opinion about this, too.

Again, thanks very much.

Nancy

Expert:  Edward replied 4 years ago.

If the problem is not related to the lamp, or fan, I expect the repair will be in the $350 price range. I believe the TV is worth having repaired for that amount. A few things to consider though is this TV has a light engine and a color wheel that are known to go bad. To have the light engine replaced you are looking at close to $1500. You have found out the expense of having to replace the lamp. The LCD TV sets have a great picture, take up less room and cost less to operate and keep up. I personally would repair the TV and start looking for a new one on sale. That way I could sell the JVC to help pay for the new TV.

Regards,

Edward

Expert:  Edward replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for the accept and the bonus. If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them. I hope you will return to Just Answer again. Please tell your friends about Just Answer. Positive feedback is very important to me. Please leave feedback when you get a chance if you have not already. Click here if you wish to leave feedback.

There is no need to reply to this post unless you have additional questions. It will only generate a request for me to reply to your post.

Regards,

Edward