TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician
Experience:  30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.
26807325

My cable tv doesnt work, just blue screen on my mitsubishi

Customer Question

My cable tv doesn't work, just blue screen on my mitsubishi projection tv. It worked before I temporarily plugged another tv into the HDMI output on the cable box. If I run my dvd player through the same compartment inputs on mits tv it works fine. If I run the cable compartment jacks through another tv that tv works fine? Im kind of at a loss as what to do next since it worked before I did this.
Category: TV
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 4 years ago.

Sounds like the Cable box's EDID isn't being verified. I can only suggest powering down both the box, and the TV set, removing the power cord on both for 5 minutes, then plugging it back in again and turning both back on. The EDID (Electronic Digital ID) may be recognized again and the Cable box will then send it's signal over to the TV set.

EDID is designed to protect against piracy of signal, and it sounds like when you changed TV sets the EDID changed, and now it's blocking the signal when you changed it back to the Mitsubishi.

A temporary workaround is to connect your Mits to the Cable box with COMPONENT cables, until this issue is resolved.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I tried unplugging both the box and the tv for 5 minutes no luck with that fix. I wasn't clear I guess in my letter but the Mits doesnt work with the component cables just get the blue screen the dvd works on any of the comp. or DTV imputs. Can the cable company reset the EDID for me? I talked to them the other day they didn't say anything about that to me, just had me check the connection at the tv and box and recycle the box.
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 4 years ago.

Cable box MUST use the COMPONENT DTV input only !

The DVD can use any other component input.

Both should work correctly then. Cable company can reset their box.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm going to take the cable box by the cable office and exchange it for another today to see if that will work will that be like an EDID reset? Right now the cable isn't working on any imput.
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 4 years ago.

Okay, just remember your Cable box must connect to the DTV component inputs on your TV set, because that input is actually 1080i and the ones NOT labled as DTV are only 480i/p input jacks.

DVD players do 480 with the component outputs, so they will work on ALL of the component inputs, including the DTV input.

Back when your TV was built by the manufacturer, they only put one HD Component connection on TV sets, and Mitsubishi labled the HD jack as DTV.

Today's cable boxes are all 1080/720 output, so they must use the DTV jack

But, you do want to use the HDMI input I'm sure. The problem with that is CABLE boxes just don't work reliably with it, especially if the Cable box is the MOTOROLA brand.

I've seen some Scientific Atlanta boxes do the same thing, so I have been telling customers to use the Component inputs for the cable box and use the HDMI for the Blu Ray players as they are more reliable with it.

There was also a series of Mitsubishi TV sets, where the DTV component inputs could be switched from YPbPr signal to an RGB computer-based signal too....if it was set for RGB you had a crummy picture with no sync, or it was green picture. If that's what you get with the Component connection, let me know that ok?

It was the hardest thing to find in their menu, but it could be on your TV set, as it's pretty close to the time they were doing that.

Now, the whole point about the EDID is the fact that the TV was built years ago, and the newer boxes have newer EDIDs and it may be the cause of your problem too....New equipment on older TV sets may just have to use the COMPONENT input as a backup input in your situation.

In fact, LG just created a brand new TV set that if you have HDMI problems, the service tech can actually go into the service menu, erase the OLD EDID and have it Re-Learn it !

I just saw one a couple weeks ago. Now that's SMART of them.

But nobody else has it yet.....

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Got the new cable box same thing blue screen no change they said in the cable office its a an input problem on my end not likely the box looks like they are right. So I guess that eliminates the EDID right? I found the switch from YPbPr signal to an RGB its set on YPbPr so thats not it. I went through every menu I can find on the tv set nothing changes it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I hooked the cable to the tv with the coax skipping the cable box its not a great picture but it works that way? I don't understand why everything works but the but the DTV?
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 4 years ago.

Ok, so let's make sure we are on the RIGHT PAGE before we go ordering parts.

Ok, so we are dealing with a BAD HD Component path, the inputs are correctly set for Y PB PR, and your Cable box outputs 1080i....or 720P.

Your 480 DVD works on the DTV but not the 1080....

And the only part that would lock out the signal is....IC2V00

Ok, you see the big rectangular box in the middle of this picture?

graphic

That's IC2V00, and the pins are wrapped around it the same way, and it's MUCH smaller, about the size of a postage stamp.

Special tools required to remove and replace, real pain to work on, even for techs with the right tools.

So we can't work on it that way....

Here is the Signal board part number, Cost is $360.00 for it.

930B881001

You may have to pull it out and send it to MODUS LINK to get it fixed, or order it directly.

http://www.moduslinkptstvboards.com/Search.aspx?k=930B881001

If you have any more questions, just ask.

If you are finished, please press the ACCEPT button.

Thank you.

Edited by TV Tech1 on 2/17/2010 at 12:41 AM EST