Dan - Master Tech
Dan - Master Tech, Master Electronic Technician
Experience:  Nearly 4 decades of installing and repairing TV's of all types.
12940042

Panasonic VIVA BBE 1080i...want to turn on...get off stand

Panasonic VIVA BBE 1080i...want to turn on...get off standby....a simple turn off/switch out of standby mode problem.
Category: TV
Expert:  Dan - Master Tech replied 4 years ago.
GreetingsCustomer please list the full model number of your Panasonic TV.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Where is the model number...??

Got it....the model number is.... Pt -60 Lc14....
On the front of the TV below the screen, you have three LED indicators, are any of them lit or blinking? The Temp and Lamp LED are next to one another and the Power LED is on the far right.

If so, which one(s), what color and how often do they blink?

Edited by Dan - Master Tech on 2/13/2010 at 12:33 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Had to leave...back now...There is one Power on/ Standby LED....It is Blinking red....when attemting to turn on it Blinks Green..on and of....after a few minutes it returns to red blinking on and off...there are not 3 LED's ...the buttons are lined up vertically with the Power on top, Vol up under that, vol dn under that, channel up under that, Ch dn under that...then tv/ video under that on the bottom...there are no other LED buttons on the front...
Thanks for the info. Your TV has a Temp and Lamp indicator just under the screen to the left of the card slot cover. If they were lit or blinking you would have noticed them.

When the Power button flashes Red (orange according to the service manual), it should do so a certain number of times every 5 seconds. How many times before pausing and repeating?

Edited by Dan - Master Tech on 2/13/2010 at 4:53 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The power button when red flashes consitantly and repeatedly...almost to the second....maybe a little slower...it does not vary...when pushed the button turns green and blinks repeatedly until it changes back to red...could this be a blown lamp issue?
Normally it should not indicate a lamp issue, that is why the lamp indicator is there. If the power LED is flashing once every five seconds, then that would indicate an internal fan problem. The power button would turn green while it goes through the self-check cycle and then go into a fail-safe shutdown as the result of a problem.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I found that the led's you were talking about were under a cover...that's why I did not see them...the one on the right under lam is slow blining red...like in 5's...the other...temp...is blank ...does the answer you sent still apply?
Yes, it does change the diagnosis. I will upload the pages from my service manual so you can tell if any of the sequences listed coincide with what you see. My initial assessment, based on your description, is that it doesn't fit the standard error code.

I will post a link shortly.

Edited by Dan - Master Tech on 2/13/2010 at 5:31 AM EST
Sorry for the long delay. My office computer decided to not allow me to upload my file so I had to switch to my laptop.

Here is the link:

Click here to go to the download page=> Error codes

I will be offline until morning (1 AM here now). Let me know.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Cannot navigate error codes page download...don't know what I am supposed to get...(I know I can check the error code against the tv blinking leds...just cannot get the page...
When you arrive at the download page there is a pale yellow rectangle with the words "Click here to start download". Click on the box and either the download to your computer starts immediately or you will be prompted where you want it saved.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't see the pale yellw rectangle with the words"Click here to start download". From the link....sorry if I am slow ...I do appreciate your help in this...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Been trying.....don't know what to do till I hear from you...
This should help:

Page 1

page 2

If you have trouble viewing this let me know.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Got it....checking now....thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok light is blinking every 5 seconds...I believe it's the lamp...Is it time to call a tv repair person?...as it seems it's a bit more technical than I thought...It seems the part is very costly...I had believed that it simply a case of programming the standby button to return to normal mode...but as you have indicated it's a error code of of a much deeper problem...I thank you for your assistance....should I go ahead and forward payment to you...I will do as you direct...and do you know of a reputable tv repair person in the Cleveland , Ohio area...near downtown...thank you for your patience and reply...
If you would like to save a few dollars initially to rule out the lamp, here are two links to a reputable seller for the lamp or the lamp in an enclosure:

Click here=> Lamp - there is a video on the same page on how to replace the lamp in the enclosure. There is also a link on the page to instructions as to how to remove the enclosure from the TV.

Click here=> Lamp w/enclosure - $20 more and you only need to exchange the whole assembly.

This way you are not paying for a service call for something that is intended for the average person to be able to do.

If you need additional information, please let me know.

Experience: Nearly 4 decades of installing and repairing TV's of all types.