Rod, TV & Communications Sys Repair
Experience:  FCC Commercial License, Previous owner of Electronics Repair shop, 40+ years in electronic systems.

My TV has audio but no video. Is this easily fixed

My TV has audio but no video. Is this easily fixed?
Category: TV
Expert:  Rod replied 6 years ago.
Hi Wally,

Sound but no picture, usually indicates a horizontal output failure. The most common problem with CRT TVs that have sound but no picture is the horizontal output - this is the high voltage section. Sometimes its just the output transistor that can be replaced by a generic replacement part. However, this is also the section that has the flyback transformer, which are generally manufacturer unique and generic replacements are not available. Because of the age of the TV, if the flyback is found to be faulty, a replacement part may not be available.

A service estimate will run about $45-$75, depending on your location. The estimate charge would apply towards repairs should you decide to have it repaired. A transistor replacement will typically run about $150, but a flyback transformer and transistor replacement could go as high as $300.

Sorry its not good news.