Steve
Steve, Technician
Experience:  Over 40 years experience ISCET Certified in Biomedical & Consumer Electronics
22470440

My samsung tv Version SP01 has suddenly taken to not turning

Customer Question

My samsung tv Version SP01 has suddenly taken to not turning on...the little red light goes on, it makes a clicking sound (which is what it normally does prior to turning on)...but it doesn't turn on...then it continues to have the little red light go on, the clicking sound occurs...repeating for hours. It won't come on...and won't stop trying to turn on. I've unplugged it...which stops the clicking cycle...but, as soon as I turn it on...it resumes. whats up?
Category: TV
Expert:  Steve replied 7 years ago.
Hello, the power supplies in these later model Samsung TVs have been failing rather quickly and cause the problem you are seeing. If you are comfortable working inside the set, a replacement power supply (identified as "IP" board) is available from http://www.encompassparts.com/. However, it is always a good idea to first confirm a bad part using appropriate test equipment.

The power supply listed is part number: BN44-00134A and sells for $101.58. Here is a link to the part page:

https://www.encompassparts.com/webwiz/wwiz.asp?wwizmstr=WEB.SEE&partnumber=6832497&smodel=LNS4041DX/XAA
graphic
If you were to have this part replaced by a servicer, the labor should be in the $75-100 range (in my area), plus a service call unless you carry it in to the shop.

It is also possible that only the electrolytic capacitors on the power supply are bad (very common on Samsung). If these capacitors have swollen or dried, simply replacing these may repair the power supply. If you wish to repair this yourself, soldering equipment and very good soldering skills are required to change these parts. Also, some of these TVs are now using lead-free solder for assembly.

If a local shop were to replace just the capacitors, the repair cost should be in the $100-150 range (in my area, plus trip). Repairing the existing board is preferred (if possible) because a replacement board will very likely have the same parts that failed so quickly. If only the capacitors are bad on the board, these can be replaced with a higher voltage, higher quality capacitor for much longer life.

Please let me know if you have any questions, or if I can help in any way.
Expert:  Steve replied 7 years ago.

graphic
View Full Image

* Please remember to click ACCEPT to release the deposit and please consider a BONUS; I will receive a portion and it is the ONLY way I am paid. Thank you and have a Blessed Day!
Expert:  Steve replied 7 years ago.