Edward
Edward, Technician
Experience:  40+ years in TV repair. Electronics Technician for 40+ years. 50+ as a hobby.
3134513

My Zenith dlp projection tv was working yesterday then

How do I test the uhp lamp in my TV?
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My DLP projection tv was working fine then abruptly shut down while turned on and now will not turn back on. The operation light blinks green when attempting to start (used to be solid green). blinks for a couple minutes then goes to red and quits. Fans will run and relays etc. engage, then stops and turns off. I looked at the lamp and cannot tell if it is blow or burned out. Want to test the lamp, tv 2-3 yrs old Zenith z56dc1d, suggestions? Thanks

If you have never replaced the lamp there is a 95% chance that replacing the lamp will correct the problem. If you can hear a clicking coming from near where the lamp is installed when the TV is first turned on, this verifies that the lamp ballast is trying to turn the lamp on. Sorry to say there is no practical way to test the lamp to see if it is defective, unless the lamp is dark. bulging or has cracked. A defective lamp can look like a new lamp. Please click here to order a new lamp for this TV. Click here if you need to view or download the owner's manual. The owners manual suggest that you have the lamp replaced by a TV repair shop. I feel most owner's are capable of replacing the lamp. Click here for the instructions needed to replace the lamp and to reset the lamp timer. DjView required to view the manual. Click here to install the DJView add on. The video below shows how to install a new lamp in the original lamp housing.

Should you require further clarification, never hesitate to ask. It would be my pleasure to clarify my answer to your question. If after reviewing the above information, you have additional questions, I will be glad to answer them. My goal is your 100% satisfaction with all questions I answer.

Please click the green ACCEPT icon if you feel I have given a complete answer, and you can leave positive feedback. Positive feedback and bonuses are always greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Edward

As always when using Just Answer your accept is required for me to be paid. By accepting you are agreeing that I have satisfactorily answered your questions. If you do not accept, your deposit if applicable, will remain in your Just Answer's account until you request otherwise.

Please do not accept unless you are 100% satisfied with the answer and feel you can leave positive feedback.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

This morning I took the lamp to a repair shop and they told me it was OK. I also called other repair shops and they said no way to test unless you install it into a like unit. I have read up on UHP type bulbs and would agree that without a ballast to fire the bulb off there is no way to test it.

Who is right? did the first shop give me bad info?

Thanks for your help

I expect the first shop Provided you incorrect information. A ballast is needed to supply the correct voltage to the lamp to light it, then the voltage is reduced and the lamp remains lit. As a lamp gets age on it the lamp will draw more current. The safety circuitry in the TV will detect a problem and shut the TV down or keep it turning on. The lamp I supplied the link for has a 1 year warrenty on their lams. Some dealers will only have a 30 to 90 day warrenty. Honestly I expect that replacing the lamp will correct the problem.

There is no need to accept until you find that replacing the lamp corrected the problem.

Regards,

Edward

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you Edward

I ordered the lamp and hope that fixes it. I appreciate the help, your approach seems logical. Have a good day

Thank you for the accept. If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them. I hope you will return to Just Answer again. Please tell your friends about Just Answer. In the future you can request me personally if you wish. Positive feedback is very important to me. Please leave feedback when you get a chance. Click here if you wish to leave feedback.

There is no need to reply to this post unless you have additional questions. It will only generate a request for me to reply to your post.

Regards,

Edward