Rod, TV & Communications Sys Repair
Experience:  FCC Commercial License, Previous owner of Electronics Repair shop, 40+ years in electronic systems.

My Hitachi 42 inch plasma (42HDT51) stopped working. It was

My Hitachi 42 inch plasma (42HDT51) stopped working. It was working fine, but On Demand Cable was not working. Called Cable company, they sent a signal to the cable box. I heard a click similar to the sound the TV makes when it is turning on and off. I assumed this was the cable box. Once the cable box recycled, TV did not work and it has a flashing yellow light when I try to power on.

The unit has an Audio Video Central Control box. That light still powers green as if it is on, but the monitor does not.

I have been told this is likely the Power Board on the monitor. I have let it sit for days/weeks (as suggested on another website) and it still does not work.

Is there anything I can do myself to fix? What are estimates for fixing? Is the cable company liable?
Category: TV
Expert:  Rod replied 6 years ago.
Hi Sadie,

I'm sorry no one has replied sooner. Its difficult to determine what has caused the failure of your TV, but there is a diagnostic you can do, to if you want to isolate the possible circuit causing the problem (this is what a TV tech would first do).

You need to disconnect the AVC unit from the TV. Then, ensure the TV is turned on by the main power switch. Open this document attached here, and follow the instructions. You press the sub-power switch for 5 seconds and the TV will run diagnostics - there will be blinks on the front panel power light. The blinks will be like 2 pause 2 (1 second blink for each blink, then a 2 second pause). Count the blinks, between the pauses and it will indicate which board is the likely problem.

To turn off the diagnostic, press the main power switch (turn the TV off).

The most expensive board to replace is the X or Y-sus boards, they run about $300 plus labor. Other boards are less expensive to replace, unless its the SDM board, as it is permanently attached to the Plasma panel and would require the entire Plasma Panel be replaced - which is about $500 plus labor.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what is labor estimate? Trying to figure out if I should buy new tv or get fixed.
Expert:  Rod replied 6 years ago.
Hi Sadie,

Labor would run about 2-3 hours, depending on what is found wrong. If the average labor rate in your area is around $75 (high end), then probably about $150 - for two hours. Labor rates are different in different parts of the country but the average estimate charge is $45-$75 for one hour.