Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.

My LG 37 LCD tv picture went black last night. Audio still

My LG 37" LCD tv picture went black last night. Audio still works on set and on recently attached sound bar. I have unplugged and tried to let it reset. I purchased the tv 19 months ago. Any ideas?

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-If you press the menu button on the tv itself, does the menu show up?

-in a dark room, do you see a slight glow to the screen?

-How old is the unit?

- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game counsel, ect.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,

Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
menu show up on screen.
slight glow is visible.
bought unit 19 months ago.
dvd player shows picture on screen

There are a couple of things that could cause this, unfortunately there is no reset for this televisions and it will have an internal failure at this point. I will try to explain the possibilities the best I can. The bad news, as you will see is that it is hard to repair a set this size due to cost.

First you could have a failure in the power supply, we have seen some capacitors fail in your model and cause funky problems like this. If this is the case you could be looking at somewhere around $175-$200 to fix the set. IF the power supply had to be replaced you could be looking at $350

Next could be the main board, this would not be good news because you could be looking at $400-$500 for the repair (I know this is up there in the price range and most likely getting over the cost of a new set)

Lastly you could have a problem with the panel itself, this would mean a new set for sure because the part cost is more than a new set. The panel in your tv is about $800 just for the part.

Any of these could cause your problem, but it will require troubleshooting to determine the exact cause of your problem. If you have experience, and test equipment and would like to attempt some troubleshooting I will be happy to assist you, however if you do not have equipment or experience then you would need a repairman at this time to get an exact diagnosis. I am sorry that I don't have a quick fix or easy answer for you on this one, it is definitely an internal failure.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please never accept an answer until you are 100% satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback. If I have answered your questions and met your needs then please press the green "accept" button. Otherwise please feel free to ask anything else to get your problem resolved. Positive feedback is always appreciated!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the answer. I think I will trade the cable box from my other TV that is working before we go down the repair road.

Ok sounds good, sorry for the bad news, let me know if you need anything else though ok?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
You have been a big help. Have a great week

You too! I am glad I could assist.