Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.

Sharp Aquos LC-65D64U shuts off after about 20 minutes. You

Customer Question

Sharp Aquos LC-65D64U shuts off after about 20 minutes. You can hear the on/off switch click but the green light just flashes. After about 1 minute you can turn it backon and it will work for another 20 minutes or so before repeating. The "sleep" function is off.
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-When the light is flashing, can you determine a code? (example 6 blinks pause 6 blinks pause repeat)

-How old is the unit?

- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game counsel, ect.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,

Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can I reply to this answer Thursday between 8:30 & 9:30 EST? I am not with the tv presently so I can't answer the flashing green light question. The others I can...the unit is a little over 1 year old. It was replaced by Sharp because the first unit did the same thing. I am at a school and we have never been able to get this unit or the other one to work properly without cutting off after 15 to 20 minutes. We have connected it to a UPS and the problem persists. Yes the problem manifests itself no matter what device is hooked up to the tv. We have tried using it with nothing but the cable connection and the problem persists.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 6 years ago.

Sure you can reply any time you like.

Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK...I am back with the tv. The green light has been flashing since the tv was last tried 2 days ago. I can discern no pattern to the flashing.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 6 years ago.

There are a couple of things that could cause this, unfortunately there is no reset for this televisions and it will have an internal failure at this point. I will try to explain the possibilities the best I can.

First you could have a failure in the power supply, we have seen some capacitors fail in your model and cause funky problems like this. If this is the case you could be looking at somewhere around $300-$350 to fix the set. IF the power supply had to be replaced you could be looking at $550

Next could be the main board, this would not be good news because you could be looking at $500-$700 for the repair (I know this is up there in the price range and most likely getting over the cost of a new set)

Lastly you could have a problem with the panel itself, this would mean a new set for sure because the part cost is more than a new set. The panel in your tv is about $1800 just for the part.

Any of these could cause your problem, but it will require troubleshooting to determine the exact cause of your problem. If you have experience, and test equipment and would like to attempt some troubleshooting I will be happy to assist you, however if you do not have equipment or experience then you would need a repairman at this time to get an exact diagnosis. I am sorry that I don't have a quick fix or easy answer for you on this one, it is definitely an internal failure.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please never accept an answer until you are 100% satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback. If I have answered your questions and met your needs then please press the green "accept" button. Otherwise please feel free to ask anything else to get your problem resolved. Positive feedback is always appreciated!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I would like to try troubleshooting. Can we leave this case open until I can get some equipment here? (Possibly tomorrow) What exactly will I need? It may take a couple of days. The things you have described do not sound good, but I would like to try to determine where along the line of possible failures this problem lies.

Thank you

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 6 years ago.

Sounds great, this will always stay open no fear there, just make sure you always use the link in your email to get back to this same page, otherwise you will open another question and then things go downhill because i might not see it, you will get double charge, it is a headache.

Well the first thing you need to do is get the back off, and then we need to start testing the voltages coming out of the power supply to see what we have and what we don't. Once you get it off, you can use any metal on the back of the panel as ground, and then test each wire coming out of the power supply for voltage, if they are not labeled on the board let me know what you are getting and I will let you know if we are missing anything or not.

Let me know when you get a meter and we will go from there.