Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

I have a Sony Wega KD-34xs955\r\nWhen trying to turn it on,

I have a Sony Wega KD-34xs955\r\nWhen trying to turn it on, the led turns on then blinks and turns off, the tv remains off, and the led continuously blinks 7 times, pauses and repeats

In the past (back in 2005) this has happens once, and the technician had advise to unplug from wall for a few minutes and we had not seen this issue since, but now, even attempting this 'solution' does not seem to resolve it.
XXX@XXXXXX.XXX

if anyone could advise what the 7 blinks of the front panel LEd stand, I could make a decision to repair or get another television. thank you.
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-Does the tv occasionally come on and work? OR does it do this all the time?

-How old is the unit?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,

Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

when I press power, the led blink as it normally does as the degaussing seems to be happeneing (the pssft sound it always does when you turn it on) then after 4-5 seconds I hear a 'click' and the led turns off for 2 seconds then the 7 led blinks begins.

The TV does not "tunrn on (ie nothing appears on the screen at all)

the unit was purchased in 2004. it is out of warranty

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

About 99% of the time this problem is caused by two IC's in your model. These parts control the regulation circuit of the power supply and must be replaced to fix your set. This is a delicate and dangerous job best left to a professional. If you have a repairman fix this for you, you can expect a bill of around $300-$400 to repair this set.

However if you have electronic repair experience, test equipment and know how to solder very well, then I will be more than happy to help you repair this set.

I am sorry I don't have a quick fix or easy answer for you on this one, but unfortunately it will require component replacement to get it running again. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

you stated" However if you have electronic repair experience, test equipment and know how to solder very well, then I will be more than happy to help you repair this "

I have electronic experience, and I know how to replace components in motherboards and such in computers, I also know that a cathode tube and assembly is a dangerous area to play on television .

where are the IC located, you mentioned the power supply, please advise so I can make a better decision thank you.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

Let me first give you the warning: If you decide to repair this set yourself you will need to be careful, this set feeds the tubes with tens of thousands of volts and if you are not careful and do not know exactly what you are doing you can be hurt. There are also many different caps in the set that hold a charge and can hurt you as well. In addition I have seen many good people destroy their sets because they did not know what they were doing and either broke a circuit board or damaged some traces causing their sets to never work again. If you decide to go forward please take your time and if you are ever not sure on something please stop and ask me! Its better to take a day or two more to fix your set rather than destroy it

These IC's are located on the D board (deflection) They are IC6501 and IC8002 both are part number MCZ3001DB.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience: Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.