Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

Why does my Sony Wega TV turn on and off by itself repeatedly

Customer Question

Why does my Sony Wega TV turn on and off by itself repeatedly? It maybe goes a couple of days without a problem and then starts turning on and off and doesn't stay on. This problem started in December. Is this a costly fix? The TV weighs a little more than 300 pounds and we are about 40 miles away from the Best Buy where we got it.
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-When it wont turn on, what does the light on the front of it do?

-How old is the unit?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,

Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you.

We have had the set for 6 years (it was delivered by Best Buy on 1/15/04).

The set turns on, but sometimes it then turns right back off. Sometimes it also turns on and off repeatedly by itself. Then sometimes it is just fine for a couple of weeks. The light turns on when it is on and turns off when it goes off. I don't think I can replicate it now for sure although I could try if that is necessary -- it is unpredictable.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

I guess I am a little confused, are you saying that when you turn it on the power light comes on but no picture?

Tim

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry. When I turn the TV on myself (as opposed to its turning itself on when I am out of the room), the red light on the front blinks 11 times then stays off but the TV picture and audio come on and stay on (at least they did just now) and I can watch it fine for an indeterminate amount of time. But sometimes it just turns off by itself. Then when I try to turn it on again it may stay on or it may turn right off again and the pattern I turn it on it turns off repeats for awhile until I give up and shut off the power source to the TV.

Sometimes we are sleeping upstairs and it turns on by itself and wakes us up when we hear voices downstairs and we have to go down and turn it off.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

Well first I must say that is quite strange! I have never seen it in a Sony, I have seen it in plenty of RCA's in my time but never a sony.

You definitely have a problem in the system control/micro circuit, this is the only thing that could turn the set on by itself, this could be something like a bad button, a leaky transistor or a bad micro. I would say this type of a repair could run you anywhere from $200-$400 depending on what is determined to be the problem, however before calling a repairman I would play with all the buttons on the tv itself. make sure that none are sticking and that they are all doing what they are supposed to, if this does not help then you will either need a new set or a repairman at this point, I am sorry to bring bad news.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please never accept an answer until you are 100% satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback. If I have answered your questions and met your needs then please press the green "accept" button. Otherwise please feel free to ask anything else to get your problem resolved. Positive feedback is always appreciated!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan