Jeff the TV Guy
Jeff the TV Guy, Technician
Experience:  10 years expeience in consumer electronics. 3 years experience in DLP, Plasma, and LCD repair.
17251986

Jeff, I have a hitachi 60v500a with a blown light engine (like

Customer Question

Jeff, I have a hitachi 60v500a with a blown light engine (like most of the other projection TVs hitachi made and is unwilling to warranty) and was wondering if you had some tips as I dive in to replace it?

Paul
Category: TV
Expert:  Jeff the TV Guy replied 4 years ago.
First, what was the exact problem you were having with the TV?

Next, where are you, or did you get the part at?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

We are experiencing a yellow glow in the middle of the screen. Colors are muted and washed out with a yellow hue. I have not bought the part and but have found several sources online. Not sure if they are worth it though... I am in Mesa AZ... are you located in the valley?

Paul

Definitely sounds like the engine.

I am in phoenix, but I can not help locally.

I recommend calling R&R Tv Repair, tell them Jeff sent you, and see if they can help.

The engine may be simple to replace, with the correct knowledge, but if something happens while inside, you would be better off having someone else with the resoponsibility.

EncompassParts.com has the part for about $400 for a rebuilt engine. You might be better off searching Craigslist for a used TV, you should be able to buy one for around $500 with no problems.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Jeff,

I was looking for instructions to get it done. I am familar with electronics but was seeking some tips. Have you change one of these and can tell me what to watch out for?

Thanks

That's good to hear.

I just don't want people to get in over their head.

The engine is a large module that looks like this:

graphic

The back cover, input modules and various structural components need to come off. The important thing is the routing of the cables. Some cables will be very tricky to get back in the right spot.

I recommend using a camera in many angles and have a screen handy for review.

After installing the engine, make sure the geometry is good for the engine, you may need to adjust to get the picture square.

Please let me know how it goes!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX anything in particular I should careful of during the removal process, for example, static, easy to break parts?

I like the idea of taking pictures but is labeling wires recommend too?

Do I need a particular tool to make the job easier?

What changes the geometry of the engine? Is it there a lot of play to work with when installing and fastening?

Lastly you suggested buying another used one. Will the same problem occur with this new engine overtime?

Thanks much,

Paul

These models, along with some Sony SXRD models are prone to this problem.

Other TVs like Panasonic, or Mitsubishi TVs do not have the engine go out that often.

But for $400, and doing it yourself, it might be a better outcome.

You should only need a phillips head screwdriver.

The Engine will slide into place, I just want you to be aware of possible issues.

It should be fine when the engine is in place, but if a wire or screw gets stuck under or in front of the engine, the screen will be skewed in one direction.

You only need to label wires that have the same number of pins on the plug, sometimes there are 2 - 3 wire cables, one will have 3 pins on the connector, the other will have 4, so it is easy to figure out.

The cables with many pins need to be handled gently, and try to see if there is a locking mechanism on all of the cables, you will damage wires and connectors by forcing them.

I wish you luck, please feel free to ask anything else!
Jeff the TV Guy, Technician
Experience: 10 years expeience in consumer electronics. 3 years experience in DLP, Plasma, and LCD repair.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Jeff

Thanks for your help. I can buy a new 60 inch mitsubishi with all new dlp parts and better clarity for $799. Not even worth getting the phillips screwdriver out. I'll get to another project.

Appreciate your help.

Paul