Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 3+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

We are trying to hook up our new Samsung 40 LED TV with our

Customer Question

We are trying to hook up our new Samsung 40" LED TV with our DISH Network receiver. The DISH Network receiver worked fine on our old TV. We are running into several problems, which most likely are due to our inexperience with hooking electronics up. We believe we have programmed the DISH remote control to be compatible with the Samsung TV- that seemed to work. Here's our list of problems:
1. Our DISH Network receiver does not have HDMI connection capability, so we are using a standard Audio cable hookup.
2. We have run through the auto programming procedure (many times) and we have picked up a few of our "local" channels, but NO satellite channels. Some of the time we pick up 10 local channels, and sometimes it only picked up 3 local channels. With our old hook up we had more local channels that this is not picking up.
3. Basically we can't get the Dish receiver to link with the TV- get message Weak or No Signal.
Any help is appreciated.
Category: TV
Expert:  Louie replied 4 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Initially, please postback with:
  • model number of the Dish Network provided satellite receiver, something like DISH311;
  • confirm that the "...standard Audio cable hookup..." refers to yellow, red & white RCA to RCA cables connected to the VIDEO, RIGHT AUDIO and LEFT AUDIO of the satellite receiver;
  • confirm that the Dish Network receiver is connected to the side of the Samsung TV to the jacks marked as AV IN 2 VIDEO & L-AUDIO-R.

Offhand and iIf yes on the last, have you tried pressing the SOURCE button on the Samsung's remote a couple of times to cycle through the available sources and/or until AV2 is displayed. If AV2 is not among the displayed selection, refresh the "Source List" by pressing the red button on the Samsung's remote.

The local channels issue is an antenna concern.

Good luck and thank you for asking JustAnswer.

Edited by Benimur on 1/17/2010 at 3:30 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you. To answer your first 3 questions:

1. Model is Dish 301

2. Yes

3. Our satellite receiver does not have these options. What we do have hooked up is the yellow, red, and white cables to the connections on the Samsung TV that match yellow, red, and white. Plus the antenna connection from the Dish receiver to the TV antenna port.

We have not yet tried your recommendation of pressing the SOURCE button on the Samsung to recycle a couple of times, we will try that now and get back to you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We just tried to refresh by pressing the SOURCE button and got to a screen with the selections of AV, HDMI, etc etc but there is no choice for AV2. It is just plain AV- We had Satellite STB in that selection and then there is a component selection that we also have Satelite STB in that one too. Is that correct?
Expert:  Louie replied 4 years ago.
Appreciate the postback and updates + additional information.

Please determine the exact model number of the Samsung TV, something like LN40B640.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry but we are all set now. We are embarassed to say that we realized we had not synced up the Dish receiver to the Samsung TV so that it recognize it. We're good now. Thank you.
Expert:  Louie replied 4 years ago.
I understand and glad that you got it figured out, congratulations and enjoy the new TV.

Again, thank you for asking JustAnswer.