How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joe Your Own Question
Joe, Electronic Tech
Category: TV
Satisfied Customers: 831
Experience:  Over 30 years in electronics, Board Repair, TV's, Gaming,
Type Your TV Question Here...
Joe is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a 30 year old RCA console TV 25 . I want to keep the

Customer Question

I have a 30 year old RCA console TV 25". I want to keep the cabinet, but dispose of the tube and parts. How do I take it out and get rid of the "inerts"?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Joe replied 7 years ago.
Take the back off , and the first thing to do is to make sure the picture tube is discharge, it can store 30K volts. The rubber cup that is connected to the CRT (picture tube) needs to be discharge, and the way to do that is to use a long flat head screw driver with a jumper lead connected to the shaft of the driver, and the other end to the chassis, metal part. Now you can slide the screw driver under the cup, without touching and metal part of the TV or the screw driver. That will discharge the CRT. Now it is safe to remove the chassis, and on the chassis, you could have some charged caps, so remove the chassis by just handling it by the edges. Removing the CRT, set a phone book down on the floor, and lay the crt, on the phonebook and the when you remove the four blots holding the crt, it will pop up, so you and someone else can pick it up. good luck.
Joe and 3 other TV Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you, Joe. Your instructions are very clear!
Expert:  Joe replied 7 years ago.
Thank you and have a nice day.