Jeff the TV Guy
Jeff the TV Guy, Technician
Experience:  10 years expeience in consumer electronics. 3 years experience in DLP, Plasma, and LCD repair.
17251986

Not receiving signal on Vizio 50" HD TV with digital tuner, why?

Customer Question

I have a Vizio 50" HD TV with digital tuner. The other day I ran a channel scan for digital channels. The scan added several additional channels but when it switched back to watch the TV, I received nothing. The blue banner is at top of screen giving the channel information but it says "No Signal". The screen is black except for this blue banner. I am still receiving digital channels because I can get them through my DVD recorder which has a digital tuner. I still receive the regular channels through the other tuner on the TV. This TV is just over two years old and I cannot afford to replace, so hope you can give me some ray of hope.
Category: TV
Expert:  Jeff the TV Guy replied 6 years ago.
I think your TV is ok, you are just on the wrong input.

Try pressing the input, or channel up/down buttons.

Please let me know how it goes!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I don't believe that has anything to do with my problem but I will try when I get home. I have to be on DTV input to get anything concerning digital programing and I am getting the digital channel identifier so I know I am using the correct input. And I have gone all the way through the channels and the same result for every channel.
I think you may be right.

It might be your Tuner, or the antenna needs to be rechecked.

You say you also have the DTV antenna feeding a DVD-R, how is it hooked up from the antenna to the TV? Is the DVD-R in between?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The system is fed by cable, no antenna. The cable comes into the DVR and then to the TV.
With a Digital Cable box?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, just straight cable from the pole. I am leaving work now and may not answer anymore until tomorrow.
That's fine, this will stay open as long as needed.

If it is cable, not antenna, you need to be in analog mode.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Not sure what you mean. The cable comes in with no mode selection. The TV has a regular tuner and a digital tuner. Regular tuner is receiving okay, digital tuner is not receiving.
What digital channels are you trying to receive?

Are you trying to get digital ABC, CBS, NBC etc. like 3.1 5.1 9.1?

Those would need an antenna, if you are talking about digital cable channels, are you using a cable card?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I was picking up channel 12.1 thru 262.2, not inclusive. All together I was picking up 90+ channels, which I can still get through my DVD-R, but the quality is not near what it was on the TV.
What I do not know is, are these supplied by your cable company?

If you hook up an antenna do you get some of the same?

Do you get analog cable and digital cable channels through subscription?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
All channels I receive are through the cable supplied by the cable company. I do not have an antenna.
I have never heard of cable companies sending ATSC channels through cable, along with NTSC channels.

I will opt out at this point, maybe someone else has experience with this.