Joe, Electronic Tech
Experience:  Over 30 years in electronics, Board Repair, TV's, Gaming,

I have a Vizio GV42L TV. Its about a 1-1/2 years old. Last

I have a Vizio GV42L TV. It's about a 1-1/2 years old. Last night while watching the TV we heard a "pop" and everything went black. Can't get anything to light up or turn on with remote or directly on TV. The VCR/DVD player plugged into the same surge protector is unaffected and still has power. Any ideas? Should I take it to a repair shop? Is it worth trying to diagnose and fix on my own? Thanks for any help.
Category: TV
Expert:  Joe replied 6 years ago.
It sounds like your power supply just went out, and it can be repair, or replace,and you probably, are looking around 250.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Is this something I can just order a new part myself and install or is it complicated enough that I need to take it into a repair shop? Also, is there a recommendation between repair or replace? Or would a repair shop that has seen the TV need to answer that? Thanks.

Expert:  Joe replied 6 years ago.

I will give you link where you can get a power supply. where you change out a power supply you just have to handle it carefully, and not tuck any of the transformer leads, and cap leads. I will get you a link where you should be able to purchase one, Also are you getting any clicks, led lights flashing.

Edited by Joe on 1/3/2010 at 4:37 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No clicks or LED's flashing. I don't hear or see anything.
Expert:  Joe replied 6 years ago.

Then it is defiantly your power supply

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your help. So in general what is involved in changing the power supply? Is it fairly straight forward once I get in there? No soldering, just connectors?

And one last question. I found the power supply at for $123. I also found a refurbished one at for $72. Any reservations from your experience with going with the refurbed one?

Thanks again.

Expert:  Joe replied 6 years ago.
That is a good price, and just connectors and scwers. Remenber where the connectors go, you might what to mark the male and female connectors with a marker. Good luck.