Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.

my westinghouse flatscreen tv volume is stuck on highest volulme

my westinghouse flatscreen tv volume is stuck on highest volulme and won't respond to lowering the volume or muting the volume. What could be wrong? the tv is less than a year old.
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-Do any of the buttons on the tv itself work? (menu, vol, chan, ect.)

-How old is the unit?

- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game counsel, ect.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,

Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
TV is less than a yr old. The menu, channel select buttons, info - all work. Right now while the volume is stuck, it won't allow me to change video source. I've tried the buttons on the original remote that came with the TV as well as the Cable system remote that I normally use. On either one, the volume is remaining stuck and continues to appear at the bottom of the screen.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 6 years ago.

What about the buttons that are physically on the tv, have you tried those?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, I've tried all the ones that are on the right side of the tv. There are only five, but it does include volume and it doesn't make a change, either.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 6 years ago.

If all the buttons are working on the tv itself, but the volume still wont move then I would say the main board in the set has failed, this is actually quite a let down because the repair is going to run more than the set is worth. An average main board replacement on a set this size is about $350 which is about the price of a new set.

The only last ditch effort I could give out is this:

Turn the set on

While it is on unplug it from the wall

Let it sit 10 minutes

Plug it back in and try again

I am not very hopeful for this, but once in awhile it does solve the problem.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please never accept an answer until you are 100% satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback. If I have answered your questions and met your needs then please press the green "accept" button. Otherwise please feel free to ask anything else to get your problem resolved. Positive feedback is always appreciated!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm accepting to be through with this, but I didn't get an answer as I expected. I had done all the things that a qualified technician has now told me to try. I wouldn't have asked without having tried the obvious thnigs to do. I appreciate your trying to help, but I won't try this site again. I actually thought I was getting through to someone who would know about Westinghouse products or I would not have agreed to pay. That's not the technician's fault - that's mine for not looking closer. Have a good night.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 6 years ago.

I am sorry if I did not give you the information you were looking for, I guess I don't understand what you were looking for? I do know your television and have repaired them many times but I don't see any other answer other then the one I gave.

Is there certain information you are looking for?

Also as I have said, please do not accept an answer unless you are 100% satisfied.