Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have a 32 Soyo flat screen TV. The tv will turn on, and

Customer Question

I have a 32" Soyo flat screen TV. The tv will turn on, and flash the Soyo logo - then the screen goes black. I have looked at the power supply and do not see any caps that look bad upon visual inspection. I have looked at the inverter board and source board and those also show no signs of visual damage. Any ideas woud be great! Thank you!
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 7 years ago.

Although the response rate on Just Answer is normally quite high, sometimes we do get backed up. I see you have been waiting for awhile for a response; I do apologize for the delay. Do you still need help with this issue?

Thanks,

Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, still looking for help on this.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 7 years ago.

I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-What is the model number for the television? (this can be found on the back of the unit)

-How old is the unit?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,

Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It is a Soyo DYLT032D with a FSP power supply FSP230-5M01 and a Eastech Electronics signal board LT3200NB Main 102C2 signal board. Hope this helps!
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 7 years ago.

I am sorry, but I cannot get any technical information for that model, I will opt out and see if another expert has information for you.

Thanks,

Tim

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks Tim. Is it possibe that I may have a bad cap even if they don't appear to look bad when I look at them? I am a low voltage and security system contractor and although I don't deal with electronics - I have a pretty good understanding of basic circuitry. I replaced one cap that I thought was bad, but no luck. I ordered 50 of these tv's for a job and had this one come back from the customer as bad, I really hate to trash it & I would really like to use it in my office as a large monitor. They are about 4 years old and of course, the problem happened right after the warranty ran out!

Thanks again,

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 7 years ago.

unfortunately no alarm problems here, normally a cap will look bad if it is bad, the only way to know for sure is to check it however with a cap checker.

Tim

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Tim, OK, thanks again for your help!
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 7 years ago.

No prob, sorry again for not being much help.

Tim

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Tim,

I don't know what I did, but I put my meter on the pins comming off the PSU to check voltage - just to see which part drops off after the 1-2 seconds so I can trace back from there. My hands are a little shakey and I shorted a 5VDC pair. I heard the PSU click when I did this. I pushed the power button on the tv and the thing fired up! Its been on for about 2 hours - I am going to keep an eye on the PSU and see if anything gets hot, but for now, my dumb luck is paying off!

Thanks,