Chuck Williams
Chuck Williams, Technician
Experience:  Over 25 years of experience servicing AV electronics to component level, ISF and THX Cert.
13758627

My Mitsubishi WS-65809 turns off immediately after you turn

My Mitsubishi WS-65809 turns off immediately after you turn it on. Is this something that an average person can fix themselves? If not, how much should it cost to repair this?
Category: TV
Expert:  Chuck Williams replied 4 years ago.

Hi!

It might be tough for someone with no electronics experience to fix, but let's see if we can figure out what's wrong.

Turn the set on, then when it shuts down, press the INPUT and MENU buttons on the front panel together and hold them down for at least 6 seconds. This should cause the front LED to flash a 2 digit code. If it flashes once, then twice, then pauses and repeats, it means that the TV's computer didn't detect a problem. I'm expecting you will get a 2 flash, then another 2 flash code.

Let me know what the 2 digit code is.

Chuck

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Chuck,

The 2-digit code is 23.

Thanks,

OK, a 2-3 error code is going to be a tough one unless you're very familiar with the inside of this TV and have test equipment.

A 2-3 error code means you have lost horizontal deflection, and there are a few different things that could cause this.

If you are comfortable trying to change a board, you might have success, but I can't guarantee that. Let me know if you want to try.

If you call a tech, depending on where you live, I'm guessing a good ballpark figure for cost of repair is in the $600 range. I know that's a lot, but in my opinion, this TV is worth it. It's a great set, and when properly tuned up, will rival many new sets. But that's the other problem is finding someone who knows not only how to fix it properly, but who can also perform the necessary alignments to really make it sing.

Let me know if you need any more advice on this TV, and thanks for using JustAnswer!

Chuck

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I found this answer from a previous post:

Answer

Hmm, well that's not great news. A 2-3 error code indicates a problem in the horizontal deflection and high voltage circuits, and is a fairly uncommon problem with this TV.

What you need to do is pull off the speaker grill, and remove the access panel behind the speaker grill. Get a flashlight and look carefully at the 3 circuit boards near the front, under the tubes. There have been problems where cooling fluid from inside one of the tubes has leaked out. If you see any fluid on the right most PC board, most likley your set is trash. If you see any on the middle or left boards, it may be ablet ot be fixed.

Of course, there are many other problems that will cause this error code, and if you have electronics experience and (ideally) an oscilloscope, I can give you some ideas. You'd also need a service manual.

Otherwise, you will have to call a Mits tech.

Let me know if you have any other questions or would like to try to fix it yourself, and thanks for using JustAnswer!

Chuck

Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/questions/1wknq-mitsubishi-1080-series-model-ws-65809-tv-worked-fine-yesterday#ixzz0bTmPPnLS

From the back of the TV, the green board on the left did show like a water stain and some rust and white corrosion. So, does this mean it's beyond fixing? How much would a new board and, I'm guessing, lamp cost?

Is this near the front of the board? A WS-65809 is a V18 chassis, and those sets didn't usually suffer from the CRT coolant leak. That was mainly on the V17 chassis (models like WS-65807).

But if that left board (as seen from the back) is damaged, you truly may be out of luck. As far as I know, it simply is no longer available, and even if you could get a new board, the old baord has a memory chip with data that is specific to your TV. Ifd you just driop a new board in, the TV may work, but the picture and color are going to be off. It may be watchable, but without being set up by a knowlegable tech, it won't be right.

Chuck

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'm sorry. The model number is XXXXX

Ok, that's even worse if the left board (seen from the back) is damaged, because its memory chip also hase the convergence data on it, and if you just drop in a new board, the picture will be totally unwatchable.

So if you see damage on that board coming from some fluid that has leaked onto it (and again, I've never heard of any CRT collant leaks on this model), then you have big problems.

And that's too bad, because this is also a great TV, and in many ways, didn't have a couple of the problems that the V18 chassis did.

Chuck

Chuck Williams, Technician
Experience: Over 25 years of experience servicing AV electronics to component level, ISF and THX Cert.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your help