Rod, TV & Communications Sys Repair
Experience:  FCC Commercial License, Previous owner of Electronics Repair shop, 40+ years in electronic systems.
14090506

Im trying to set up my new panasonic to my home network.

I'm trying to set up my new panasonic to my home network. It says I need a dns setting mode. How do I find out what the setting should be.

Also in trying to set up the Viera cast it asks for a proxy address and port number. How do I find out the address and the port?
Category: TV
Expert:  Rod replied 4 years ago.
HiCustomer

I'm sorry no one has responed sooner. For the majority of home networks you do not need to set a DNS or proxy address and port for Viera Cast.

The basic network information for the IP address and DNS, should be set on the TV as "Obtain Automatically".

The Viera Cast will configure (do not set it) when you set the IP and DNS address to "Automatic" and then run a "Test Connection".

Thanks,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Rod

I wish it were that easy. I did try the automatic setting for both the IP address and DNS many times and finally had to manually enter the IP address which seemed to work. The TV is still asking for a DNS setting. I'm not getting anything in PC mode. When I try to activate it, I get an "invalid DNS address".

In trying to activate viera cast the TV asks for a proxy server address and doesn't seem to have an auto option.

Hope you can help.

Expert:  Rod replied 4 years ago.
HiCustomer

Do this on your computer - click start, run, then in run type CMD - you will get a DOS window. In the DOS window type "ipconfig /all" - no quotes - this will then show your network configurations. Look for the DNS line - there will be at least one but usually two.

Write down those DNS IP numbers and enter those in to the Network configruation on your TV.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Rod,

I did that and it still failed. I have a verizon FIOS internet and tv service. Is there somthing special that I have to do with that? I don't know what else it could be.

Tom

Expert:  Rod replied 4 years ago.
Hi Tom,

If you don't mind, I would like to see your network configuration from your computer.

As before, go to Start/Run and type in CMD. In the DOS window type:

CD \

Then type:

ipconfig /all > IP.doc

This will send the output to a .doc file. You can upload the file to your reply, by highlighting a word like this. Then click the link tab on the right of the smiley face, this will open a window, at the top of the window there is a URL field, click the icon next to it, this will open another windows to locate the file and double click to insert, click okay, then okay in the first window and it will upload.

Also, how do you have the TV connected to the network? Is it through a network switch or router with ethernet ports?

Thanks,

Edited by Rod on 1/7/2010 at 10:38 PM EST
Rod, TV & Communications Sys Repair
Experience: FCC Commercial License, Previous owner of Electronics Repair shop, 40+ years in electronic systems.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Rod couldn't get it to upload but here's what it looked like. spent too much time already, I accept

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : dplmy01

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : home

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : home

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : D-Link DFE-530TX+ PCI Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-40-05-0A-BB-F1

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, January 12, 2010 10:38:34 AM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, January 13, 2010 10:38:34 AM

Expert:  Rod replied 4 years ago.
Hi Tom,

There was no need to accept if we haven't got you working and I am willing to work with you on this. Your network does have DHCP enabled based on your computer information so the TV should work with Automatic - this will take a few minutes for it to aquire the address and the routing information.

Try setting it to automatic. Turn the TV off, and then turn it on. Leave it on for a while then check the menu for the network setting to see if it aquired its IP address and other information and then run the test.

Thanks,