Roger, Technician
Experience:  over 38 years consumer electronics bench tech. dlp-plasma.factory trained most brand

Hitachi Big Screen TV Has Small Lines Across The Picture.

Customer Question

I have an older Hitachi big screen TV and it has small lines that constantly run through the picture.

Can I fix this myself somehow?

Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your question on JustAnswer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-What is the model number for the television? (this can be found on the back of the unit)

-How old is the unit?

- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game counsel, etc.)

Thank you

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

It's a 1999, the model # ***** ***** and the problem persists there no matter which device is connected.

Expert:  Roger replied 6 years ago.

Can you tell me if this problem is like random characters appearing during OSD (on screen display) activity or will this happen all the time even with no onscreen display present?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

What happens is hoizontal lines seem to roll vertically through the screen whenever it is on. When you first turn the TV on, the screen is all distorted but as it warms up the picture clears, except for the these lines that constantly go through the screen. They are somewhat faint lines and do not stop us from watching it but are definitely noticeable.

Expert:  Roger replied 6 years ago.

Hello again.

This from the description of your symptoms sounds like your 9 volt supply has some AC ripple in it, this will feed many of the video circuits in your TV.

Most likely a capacitor or capacitors have lowered in value and not filtering this supply properly. This can also be capacitors in the video select circuit/ in the rainforest IC circuit or the 3d/yc comb filter circuit also causing problems. Unless you have some knowledge in component level electronic troubleshooting and the proper diagnostic tools to trace this problem out, you may want to have this serviced by a qualified repair shop familiar with this AP-90 chassie.

Most shops can give you an estimate before they try to repair this set and this set should be repairable for under $400.

I hope this information will help you.

Roger, Technician
Experience: over 38 years consumer electronics bench tech. dlp-plasma.factory trained most brand