Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.

I have an LG plasma TV which has vertical colored lines on

I have an LG plasma TV which has vertical colored lines on the left half of the screen. which board should I replace?
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-What is the model number for the television? (this can be found on the back of the unit)

-How old is the unit?

- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game counsel, ect.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,

Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hyundai HPT 4250H, but all parts are LG. 4 yrs, hasn't been used in 2. Has the same symptoms regardless of source of signal. Problem was intermittent - picture would be fine, then Left half would blank out with the exception of hundreds of colored verticle lines. Replaced the right buffer board with a board ordered on line and it had the same issue, just not intermittent.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 6 years ago.

So you replaced the buffer board but the problem is still there?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, but the board was used, so I am not certain that the replacement board didn't have the same problem.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 6 years ago.

Ok just to make sure...

From the front of the tv, the lines are on the left side of the screen.

Then from the back of the tv you replace the board on the right side?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 6 years ago.

well you did right so you either received a faulty board with the same exact problem only not intermittent any more (highly unlikely) OR you have a bad plasma panel.

I believe you have a bad panel from everything you have describe here, this is bad news because I am sure you already know the part is going to cost more than a new set at that point. Unfortunately I think you have done all you can do for that set and it is time to look for a replacement. Do you see what I am saying?

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please never accept an answer until you are 100% satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback. If I have answered your questions and met your needs then please press the green "accept" button. Otherwise please feel free to ask anything else to get your problem resolved. Positive feedback is always appreciated!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan