TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician
Experience:  30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.
26807325

I have Sharp Aquos LC-30HV4U. I get blue screen but nothing

Customer Question

I have Sharp Aquos LC-30HV4U. I get blue screen but nothing else. I am unable to access inputs via remote. The only button on the remote that allows function of tv is the power button. The Input switch on this set does not work ether. I have tried unplugging, holding power button, reset button on avs box. Nothing is working except blue screen.
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-Do you have a bright blue screen or would you say it is a dull blue screen?

-How old is the unit?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,

Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi thanks for helping

This is not my tv so I am not sure how bright it normally is but it seems pretty bright to me.

The unit is April 2003
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.

There are a couple of things that can cause this. Please tell me a little more about your situation so I know where to go with my answer.

What kind of information are you looking for? Trying to fix this yourself or get a good idea of what's wrong and what it will cost?

If you are trying to repair this yourself, what kind of electronic repair experience do you have, do you know how to use a meter and solder?

Please let me know!

Thanks,

Tim

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I just did a repair on my son's lcd monitor replacing a couple of capacitors. It worked. So yes I have used a soldering iron and a meter. This looks like a different type of problem so I am not sure how to proceed. I can do board replacement if need be or soldering. This is not my tv. It belongs to a friend of mine who recently moved. The tv was handled carefully so I don't believe it was banged around. There are no signs of damage anywhere. I just told him I would look at it. He told me to keep track of how much time I'm spending on it and he would pay me for time and parts. He doesn't want to spend too much money. He already has several lcd tv's in the house and this one hasn't been to been used very much. If it's too expensive he'll just take it to the dump.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.

Ok...

Well the first step here that I would like to take is actually to inspect the capacitors in the power supply, it is possible that you have a bubble cap or two and it is causing a no video situation, I have seen it on and LG before so it is entirely possible that it is your problem.

So if you can, remove the back and check the caps in the power supply to see if any of them have bubbled tops. Let me know what you find, if you have questions let me know.

Thanks,

Tim

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well this tv was working fine prior to the move. I've read elsewhere that these can behave like computers, (need to be rebooted)it's like the blue screen that is exhibited with a pc when it's having booting problems. I noticed that at one point in this process of diagnosis that unplugging and replugging it caused a different start up with no screen at all just a blinking red indication.

Frank
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.

Frank,

That information is not really correct, unplugging and plugging them back in will work sometimes but very rarely. Now that you told me that you have 2 different things happening I think even more that we should check for bubbled capacitors in the power supply. It wont take us long, there is a chance we wont find anything but there is also a chance that we will nail it on the head and find the problem right away. Irregardless of what is wrong with the set, it is going to be internal there is no reset or reboot for this set other than the unplug and plug back in which you have already done. We either have a bad power supply, bad main, or bad panel. For your friends sake i sure hope we find a bad power supply, because the other two most likely will be more than the set is worth.

Let me know if you can check those capacitors for me.

Thanks,

Tim

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay I will check. Are you going to be around another hour or so?
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.

I actually am getting ready to sign off, but I will be back for most of the day tomorrow if you will be available? I should be here from around 1pm EST until 11pm EST tomorrow.

Will this work for you?

Tim

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Tomorrow is bad. I will check back Monday. PST
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.

Ok well post what you find when you check them and I will respond when I get back, just check back when you can after that.

Thanks,

Tim

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay. Do I need a case number XXXXX how do we pick up from here? Also I need to print this so my friend can see what was discussed. Is there a pdf. version of this exchange?
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.

To get back to me you will need to get back to this same page, there should be an email that this company sent you with a link in it to get back to this same exact page, once you get back here you will be able to post and I will be notified and we can continue.

As far as a PDF, I have never heard of getting a copy of the conversation in one before, But I will send a note to the moderators asking them about that right now and get back to you with what they say.

Let me know if you have any more questions, or what you find with those caps.

Thanks,

Tim

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks Tim for your help.

Talk to you on Monday

Frank
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.

Sounds good, see you then Frank!

Tim

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Good Morning Tim
How are you?

Well I opened up the back and it looks like all caps look fine. I checked all boards and everything looks clean nothing looks swollen or bulging. I took some photos of the caps I thought were in question but I don't know how I send them to you in this format. Don't think it would do any good anyway since they look like theare the way I described.

Frank
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.

Ok next we would need to check all the voltages coming out of the power supply, just check the wires at the plugs coming out and see what we get.

Thanks,

Tim

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
117.8 volts
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.
Where do you find that voltage?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
?
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.

Can you post a picture of the power supply?

(if you can post a picture, please click the icon above where you are typing with the green tree on it. This will allow you to upload a picture)

Tim

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry I'm not seeing a green tree