Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

Im replacing the Optical Block on a Sony 60 LCD Projection

I'm replacing the Optical Block on a Sony 60" LCD Projection TV. After removing all screws The back seem will not come loos at the Right and Left Bottom of the Back. Any Suggestions

Thanks,
Bob
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-Is the tv sitting in the stand that was made for it or an aftermarket stand?

-just to be clear you are changing the actual optical block that costs around $700 not the lamp? The reason I ask is I dont think have ever had a customer actually change their own o-block in a sony.

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,

Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It is on the TV stand made for th eTV. As I stated I removed all screws from the back. The only problem I have is the two corners left and right Bottom will not come off.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

Thats causing your problem, you will need to take the silver metal piece off the front, it just slides forward, then you can kinda wiggle the tv forward enough to slide the back of the tv back a little and then upwards, its a little tricky, nice to have two people there to stop it from falling forwards.

Let me know if you need more help.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please never accept an answer until you are 100% satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback. If I have answered your questions and met your needs then please press the green "accept" button. Otherwise please feel free to ask anything else to get your problem resolved. Positive feedback is always appreciated!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

That does not seem to work. The back of the TV is open from the top. I can see each corner at the bottom. Have tried pulling from both edges to no avail.

What do you exactly mean remove the silver metal piece at the bottom? I have removed the screws from the silver metal piece still no luck

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

Can you send a picture of the back area of the tv so I can see what you are dealing with?

(if you can post a picture, please click the icon above where you are typing with the green tree on it. This will allow you to upload a picture)

Tim

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I

Tim,

I will take a picture of the front and back of the TV. However, It will be about an hour before I can get the pictures. My wife is not at home at this time and she has the digital camera

I will get back too you as quickly as possible.

Thanks,

Bob

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

As soon as you post them I will look at them.

Question.... in the mean time I will try to help you without seeing it, this is kinda like in grade school when you had to tell someone to draw a shape by giving directions but you couldn't see what they were drawing and they couldn't see what the shape was supposed to look like...

You have all the screws out of the back as you have said, but the bottom of the back will not budge one bit?

If you inspect the stand that the tv is sitting on, doesn't the tv kinda sit down in the stand about 1/4-1/2 inch?

This 1/4-1/2 inch will cause the back not to move, this is what I meant by you have to move the whole tv forward a little so that the back has enough room to slide off.

Do you see what I am talking about at all?

Tim

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Tim,

I understand what you are talking about. I nornally fix a lot of things , but this has me baffled.

I have done a lot of research concerning replacing the Optical Block. If I can get the &*%$* back off I will be ok. I thought getting the back off would be the easiest part. Oh. well what do I know.

I have got the pictures and will send them in a few minutes.

Thanks for your patience.

Bob

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

Ok thanks bob!

Tim

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Tim,

This is pictures of the front and back of the TV. If you are looking at the front of the TV the left and right bottom corners of the back will not release. The top part and sides are ok whith the exception of both corners.

Bob

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.
I see no picture?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

graphicgraphicgraphic

Hopefully this will help you.

Thanks,

Bob

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

We cant win for loosing can we?

I see no pictures this time I just see boxes with X through them saying graphic...Did you make sure they were .jpg?

Tim

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, They were suppose to be jpeg. Howevedr, I will check to be sure.

That is the story of my life. Can not win for loosing.

They are definatley jpeg. Each time I insert the picture it comes out as a graphis. This is strange. Have been working with computer for 40 years. Nothing seems to amaze

me.

Do you have a email address I can down load the pictures.

This is why you make the big bucks working with people like me. If anything is going wrong it will with me. Nothing comes easy. hee! hee!

Bob

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

What is the file size?

I wish I could give you my email, but it against the rules...

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

each file is 804 KB. I can pull them up with out any problem. However, each time I upload them to you they show as graphics.

I will try a few other things. However, I am puzzled why the problem exists.

Bob

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

Do you have a place like photobucket that you can put them?

Tim

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

What is the number of screws you removed?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I removed approximatley 20 or so screws.

I copied and pasted the pictures to word format. They did ok on my computer. I tried to paste them to your screen and they still came out as grahics. According to your screen I should be able to insert from work format.

No luck.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

Did you try to use the upload button? above where you are typing there is a green tree icon?

Tim

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

WAIT A MINUTE!!!! 20 SCREWS?/?????

Are you trying to take the huge back off, like the slanted piece of plastic??

Tim

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, That is the only way to get the Optical Block out. I removed the small plastic at the bottom of the back without any problems. I removed the fan and fan case. I see the Optical Block. However I can not get it out even after removing screws holding it. I also had no problem removing the chasis with all the boards and circuits. The only thing left is th eoptical block
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I also tried the green icon to upload the pictures.

Bob

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

Ok definitely stop what you are doing...you can damage the set at this point because the screen will fall off it you take the wrong screws out.

You are wrong about it being the only way to get the optical block you, you DEFINETLY do not need to take the large back off, you are almost done actually. I have to leave for the evening really soon but I will try to help you before I go.

Look to the left right where the lamp goes in, there is a hidden screw holding a panel on, the panel is below the screen, long and rectangular, if you take this screw out, it will release the panel and then you will see in the front a bunch of screws. BUT you only take out 2 of these screws, if you take out the wrong ones you will have A LOT of geometry problems when you put the new set in.

I can walk you through this problem to save you a headache but I need to go for the evening is there any way you can meet me here tomorrow and finish the job? I have changed 100's of these o-blocks, I can get you through it but you are on the verge of disaster and I am not kidding when I say that.

If you cannot wait you can opt me out and see if another expert is available sooner, I just checked and don't see anyone that I know on right now otherwise I would refer you.

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Tim

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Tim,

Ok, we will try tomorrow. I believe I know which screws you are talking about, but how do I know which one to remove. There are several. I can tell they will be a pain in the butt to get them back in.

I made sure the screen was intack. You are right the screen could easily fall off.

Get back to me tomorrow.

Have a great evening.

Thanks,

Bob

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

I am here and should be for most of the day, let me know when you are ready.

Tim

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Tim,

Hope you are having a great day..............

I looked at the New Optical Block and I see which screw needs removing.

I believe I see the screw in a long hole on the Optical Block that is keeping me from removing it. I will need a screw driver at least 6" long to reach the screw. The screw head seems to be something I have not seen before. Do I need a special screw driver to remove the screw.

I also noticed on the New Optical Block the screws heads are something I have not seen before and will need a special screw driver to screw them in. Do I need some kind of Hex screw driver? What about the size.

Thanks,

Bob

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

Yes you are correct, there are two screws that you need a long screw driver to take them out, however I have never seen them be anything but a philips head. One is all the way on the left side of the oblock and one is on the right side in like a tunnel almost.

Where did you get your o-block from? We will need to find out what kind of heads are on those screws so you can get the proper tool.

Tim

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I actually took a screw out of the new Block and it is a phillips head. I will get a phillips head screw driver and try. Will get back to you soon.

Thanks,

Bob

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

OK sounds good let me know what happens...you are like 99.9% of the way there now...

Once you get those two screws out the engine will slide right out and you can slide the new one in.

Tim

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Tim,

I got the new engine in and all the connections correct. I had my wife check all connections with me. They were not hard to do because they only connect one way. actually took one connection at a time from the old block and attached it to the new block. I feel real confident the connections are cdorrect.

However, when I turn the TV on I cannot get a picrture. I get Video 1 thru 8. When I turn the TV off the red light standby mode stays on. According to the manual it is telling me the timer needs to be set.

I have ckecked all the connections on the back for video & etc. Should the TV comeup in a setup mode after installing the Block? I may have to break down and call a repairman. I hate to do that since I have done all this work. I'm retired and on a fixed income, so I try to do most things myself to save money.

Is there some magic trick only repairmen know after installing the Block

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Bob

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

Bob,

So you have everything installed, and you have something on the screen showing up? it is telling you what inputs you are on, you can get to the menu ect. But you cannot get video to show up on the screen?

Is this correct?

Tim

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Tim,

I disconnected the HDMI and connected the componemt cable (Red, Blue, Green). I received a picture , but it is not very good,. Still have the red light (standby) on when I turn the TV off with the remote.

Hopefullly, if I can get the red light problem solved the picture will be ok. Is there some kind on interlock switch I can check?

You have been a great help and I appreciate it very much.However we may be at a dead end. Do you have any suggeestions. If not, I will (accept your help) and call a repairman. I feel we are so close to solving the problem I hate to give up now.

Thanks,

Bob

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Tim,

This is my last email. Everything is working ok using the component connections. For some odd reason the HDMI connection will not work The only problem I have is the color is awful. I'm sure there is some place to correct this. I did everythin I could to change the color on the TV menue. However, it did not do any good. The peoples faces have gray blobs on them and the color is not bright like it should be. I have decided to call a Sony TV repairman. Let me hear from you and I will click the Accept Button and we will be consider it done.

I thank you for all your help.

Bob

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

Bob,

I don't mind continuing on the subject with you, but if you are done then I understand that as well. I am sure you are frustrated after all you have gone through here.

I would like to see what you are talking about if at all possible a picture would be great. If not then I have a couple of questions...

Does the menu look good or does it look bad as well?

Also, on the optical block, do you remember that blue funky wire with the weird end on it? Did you double check to ensure that this is seated properly?

And lastly, did this o-block come with an extra circuit board that you need to replace?

Let me know.

Thanks,
Tim

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Tim,

The colors are messed up and I tried to adjust them to no avail. The faces are really pink and have a shadow on them. The menue is not even close to the color before I installed the new Block. Everything seems to have too much pink.

Yeah I remember that wire with the weird end. I pushed it in as far as it would go. If I remember correctly the wire end went to no where. If it is not seated properly would this affect the color? If so, I can go back and try to reseat it.

Also, I had to connect my componemts up because my HDMI would not work for some reason. What would cause that?

Well, I still would like to hear from you. However, I am loading the %$#^@& TV up Monday and taking it to a Sony Repair Shop in town. I have a lot of patience and they have run out.

Oh well., you are right I am frustated to no end. I was hoping to have a good picture as I had before with out the blue dots. I had rather have my old Block rather than this one. I could live with the blue dots.

I did not receive a new board with my block. I know some TV's require a new board. I do not know if mine does or not. How can I find out.? I purchased my board from Sony.

You have been a great partner in this venture. And believe me, I appreciate your knowledge and patience. I will recommend you to everyone I know that has a TV problem. Of course, you may not want another client like me.hee! hee!. This is the first time I have used Just Answer and I have been very pleased with your help.

By the way what state are you located ? Just curious.

I'mCustomerfrom Birmingham, Alabama and a rabid Alabama fan. Hopefully, they will beat Florida in the SEC Championship Game tomorrow. Then go and win the National Championship for the Thirteenth time.

Hope to hear from you tomorrow. Time is running out. As I stated Monday I'm taking the TV to the shop. You have one more day to put up with me. hee! hee!. You have been great to work with.

Is there a survey to complete when we are finished?

Have a good evening and tomorrow I will try anything you suggest.

Thanks,

Bob

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

Bob,

You said the menu is not correct either?

The menu on this model is generated in the optical engine, so if the menu is the wrong color then the engine is definitely bad and it means the engine that you bought is defective...

Where did you get this engine from?

Tim

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I purchased the engine from Sony.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The menues are dark green and the highlight on the screen is pink. Of course all peoples faces has gray globs on them. I have taken photos of the screen and intend to send the unit back with a explanation and pictures. I also have taken photos on my other television to show what the color should be. Hopefully, they will refund my money.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

Are you 100% sure that there was no circuit board in the box with the optical engine?

Also is there any way you can send those pictures to gina@justanswer.com

Thanks,

Tim

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

We got your pictures today, that is a very weird problem and have never seen it before. But the answer here is that if you have all the wires plugged in correctly then you have a bad o-block. very very weird.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Tim

Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience: Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.