Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 3+ yrs. online, down to component level.

Vizio tv isnt connecting to dvd player anymore!

my vcr/dvd player has always worked just fine with my vizio flat screen on AV2 but today it suddenly has stopped working. I turned my vcr on and it still says "no signal!" on the tv even though the vcr/dvd is playing. I've tried hooking it up to AV1 and I have component cords so I tried that too but it still wont work! What happened and how do I fix it?
Category: TV
Expert:  Louie replied 4 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Initially, postback the model number of the DVD / VCR combo.

Offhand, is the "NO SIGNAL" on both DVD discs and VHS tape
playing ? If it is on VCR (VHS tapes) only, have you tried a video head cleaner?

Alternately, if at all possible, try another signal source to be connected to the AV inputs of the TV such as a camcorder, another VCR or DVD player. Or try the DVD / VCR combo in another TV. This way, it could be determined which is at fault: the input jacks (circuitry) of the TV or the output jacks (circuitry) of the DVD / VCR combo.

Good luck and thank you for asking JustAnswer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
MVD4541A

It was on both dvd and vhs.

I tried hooking up my N64 and it works on AV2 and I tried hooking my dvd/vcr up to an older tv and it wouldn't work. I also tried using a different set of yellow/white/red cords and it still wouldn't work. So it must be the dvd/vhs player. Is there any way I can fix it or will I have too get a new one?
Expert:  Louie replied 4 years ago.
I understand; no audio / video on either DVD or VCR.

I have to agree that it is a faulty Memorex MVD4541A. A common circuitry to both DVD and VCR would be the AV buffer Interface board. This would then require that the unit be opened up to effect repairs. Options then are:
  • consider a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair if and only if very familiar with electronic components & circuitry, use of a DVM/VOM, a soldering iron/station and safe working practices with electrically powered devices. Access to a Service Manual or at the very least, a schematic diagram would be a necessity (though a challengne in itself);
  • should you be uncomfortable with a DIY, perhaps your best bet would then be to seek the services of an authorized Service Center (specially if still under some form of extended warranty) or a qualified professional.
  • evaluate other options considering age of unit, parts availability, cost of repair specially the service fee(s), shipping, downtime and comparative prices of newer / better models. There would be instances where repair is no longer economically viable. Not the answer you were hoping for, Sorry.
Louie, Technician
Experience: 25+ yrs. experience in the field and 3+ yrs. online, down to component level.