Rick williams
Rick williams, Technician

I have a samsung lnt3242h that has sound but no picture. I

I have a samsung lnt3242h that has sound but no picture. I tested and took the back cover off to confirmed the inverter board was good. The CCFL are on and the screen is lit but nothing shows on the screen not even the on screen inicators, like the volume bar, etc. I believe it could be the lcd controller board since the other two boards are the power supply and the big tunner board with all the inputs (hdmi, etc); what you guys think?
Category: TV
Expert:  Rick williams replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem.

make sure this is on all inputs VCR DVD etc.. if it is then

Friend this unit has a corrupted processor on the main board, its not being told to turn on and off, video processing. The main board is the unit that has the inputs for all of your external toys DVD,VCR so forth, you will have to open unit and read the name on the board, so we know who makes it and get the part number also.

These are some part stores, CALL THEM IF POSSIBLE always check with manufacturer , And you may need the name of the part and its part number off the part itself

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have done this research already; the board you mentioned above is the tuner board which also holds the hdmi inputs and analog inputs. Why would this board be bad and not the controller board. See the links below which shows both components. The parts below are the actual part numbers for this model; is there any tests I can performed to collaborate your diagnostic.

tunner with inputs:

lcd controller:

Normally the controller board, if is bad there will be a picture but a bad one, Missing parts of the screen or lines, This is what the controller or T-conn board does,

Disconnect the T-conn board, by removing the LVDS cable turn set on does screen light?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I Will test the cable; interesting you mention part of a bad controller will be lines. There were vertical lines before the present problem. I will disconnect the LVDS cable and see what happens. I will reply back.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I haven't had the opportunity to test the recomendantions. If I disconnect the cable and the screen lights up what will this tell me? the inverter board is independently connected to the ccfl should light the screen even with the controller board disconnected. I believe from the beginng of the questions that either the controller or tunner board might be defective. The reason to post the question is to isolate which board could be, so I don't have to buy two boards. Give me some time to test your recomendations; hopefully today I will be able to test your recomendation.

LVDS cable and main board is suspect.

Ok. Good luck friend

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I will go with your recommendation of the main board; when I perform the LVDS test, tell me if the following is correct. 1) if I do get the screen lit after disconnecting the LVDS cable that tells me what? controller is good? isn't the inverter responsible for lighting the lamps? 2) if it does not light the screen controller bad? Base on your recommendation the main board/tuner is responsible for processing the video signal and any on screen indicator; if this is true than I will find out after replacing the main board as you have suggested.

You are absolutely correct,

If you have any more questions I'm here friend

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Rick, I received the main board and installed it but the same issue is present. Any other recomendations?

Im sorry for this friend, I believe your diagnostic was off, back to the basics if you have sound and no picture this is the inverter, Have you shined a light into the set while it was on? ANd also checked for 24vdc from power supply to the inverter?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Rick on the initial troubleshooting I checked all power sources and inverter; the isolation was pointed to either the main board or t-con board. I just consulted with you if we can isolate which of the boards was the culprit. I took the tcon board and examine it. After performing some heating technics to ensure all components had proper soldering connection I place it back on the tv and I had color vertical lines which was the initial issue before going blank. I performed some more research and found out that the tcon do a lot of the functions you mentioned but is also the driver. I ordered that board too, I will see what happens. The sad part is I may be stuck with the main board and won't be able to return it. It cost me $65 so let me know if you might find any use for it. I will sell it to you for $50 if you can use it. I will let you know how it goes when the other board arrives; it should be a week or so; in the mean time if you have any other suggestions I will try them.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Rick; just wanted to tell you that the tv is working. If you go back to my original troubleshooting I always taught it was this board.

original comment:

".....I believe it could be the lcd controller board since the other two boards are the power supply and the big tunner board with all the inputs (hdmi, etc); what you guys think?..."

I just needed a way to test this and that's when I came to this forum. I know you like using the blame game since most people asking you questions are technically challenge but this was not the case. You did show me a way of making some extra money by joining justanswer. I just wished that instead of spending the $18 on you, the $65 on the wrong board, I would have just spend $60 for the right board; plus your $18.

Im happy for you friend, And i am sorry for the extra Cash you had to spend, But as you should understand these errors you were having are hard to isolate, Because main board T-conn And LVDS are all in series with each other, But you have mentioned a key problem in your last message, I think even you missed this one, You said you seen lines before going Black, this would have been key in the troubleshooting of this set. I think i said some of the T-conn issues are lines and so forth, But let me stop i wont play the blame gameWink

I am Happy for ya, And yes take the test we need good techs we are swamped with todays technology.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Let's see how it goes on my next quest; I will keep you in mind.

Good luck buddy