Dan - Master Tech
Dan - Master Tech, Master Electronic Technician
Experience:  Nearly 4 decades of installing and repairing TV's of all types.
12940042

I have lost volume on my Sony big screen tv. I still have some

I have lost volume on my Sony big screen tv. I still have some audio, it's just faint. When I try to raise the volume, the only thing that gets louder is static. All I've done recently that could have had an impact is pick up the television cabinet on one end to remove a rug. It seems unconnected, but could that have any cause in losing volume?
Category: TV
Expert:  Dan - Master Tech replied 4 years ago.
GreetingsCustomer before I comment on any possible internal component fault, please check the following in the Audio Menu:

Audio Out - This option can be set only when the Speaker option is set to Off. Easy control of volume adjustments.

Variable
- The TV’s speakers are turned off, and the audio output from your audio system can still be controlled by the TV’s remote control.

Fixed - The TV’s speakers are turned off, and the audio output of the TV is fixed. Use your audio receiver’s volume control to adjust the volume (and other settings) through your audio system.

Speaker On - Select to turn on the TV speakers.

Off - Select to turn off the TV speakers and listen to the TV’s sound only through your external audio system speakers.

If adjusting any of these settings does not rectify your sound problem, then a reset may be the next option. Let me know.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The Audio Out is set to variable with the speakers on. Still, the sound is barely audible.

What are you using for a source? (cable, cable box, satellite, antenna, DVD etc.)

Is the lack of volume occur for all inputs?

If you only have one input, let me know how it is connected to the TV.

Other steps to restore sound:

When in the Audio Menu described earlier, press RESET (REC) on the remote. This should restore the factory default setting.

If that fails, then disconnect the power to the TV for several hours. If a stray static charge or voltage surge caused an upset to a part of the audio circuit, many times this will clear it and allow it to return to normal.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have an HD cable box from Charter. And an external sound system with several speakers set up around the room for surround sound. When I put in a DVD and press play the sound comes out loud and clear from the external sound system.

When I go back to the audio menu and press reset, nothing happens. I am using the television remote, not the Charter remote, set in "tv" mode when pressing the reset button.

I unplugged the television once I tried the suggestions and started this reply. Then my laptop battery ran out, so now I'm back. The television has been unplugged for maybe an hour.

OK, I was unaware that you were using an external sound system. I had assumed you were just using the TV's speakers.

How is everything connected? In order for me to be able to visualize your setup, I need to know how it is wired between the different components for video and audio.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I think everything the system is designed for everything to run through the sound system, but my husband says when we are watching television, we just get the sound through the television speakers and we get the surround sound when we play CDs, DVDs and Video. I have to be away from the computer for about 20 minutes, then I'll be back.
That is OK, I am home for the evening and will be online for several more hours. Just to let you know, I am a service technician with my own business. I have been servicing TV's for nearly 40 years. I mention that only so that you know what I ask is relevant to determining your problem.

I am slowing getting an overall picture of what your setup is, but not completely.

As I understand it so far:
  1. You have an external sound system that plays the audio directly from some external sources, such as the DVD, which works.
  2. You have a Charter cable box but I am unsure if that is what you are having trouble listening to when you say "...when we are watching television, we just get the sound through the television speakers..."
  3. I am unsure as to how the components are wired so that a certain source is not routed through your stereo system for sound and only through your TV speakers.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am beginning to feel like I don't know enough about my own system to answer your questions! I know that the sound from the television (and all other components) is supposed to go through the external sound system, but that we have not been getting sound from tv programs through those extra 5 speakers; just the speakers that are actually a part of the television, but movies and music played through the other components come through the exterior system. So maybe we've had that wrong all along....but it doesn't explain why we were getting audio from the television Saturday night and no audio when we tried to watch a football game on Sunday. What changed between Saturday night and Sunday?
Don't feel bad, there are a great number of people who don't necessarily know how everything is connected. Sometimes a family member, friend, neighbor or a service technicXXXXX XXXXXke myself does all the behind-the-scenes work.

As far as what has changed, it is still difficult for me to say since I still need to know what wires connect the equipment. I'm not trying to put you on the spot, it's just that there are a number of ways to connect one piece to another and each one could be a clue as to what has happened. If I knew more, I could do one of two things. One would be to answer your question as to what went wrong and then hopefully correct it, and the other could be a work-around and provide you with the information to run the audio through your external sound system. The second option wouldn't solve the mystery, but it would provide the sound you need.

The only possible solution I can offer with what information I have, if I have it straight in my head, might be in the Charter cable box. If that is what you are referring to as coming through your TV with low volume, then one of two possible options exist. One would be to power off the Charter box for 10 minutes and power back up again (I'm not sure, but you might have tried that already). The other option is to see if there is a volume control for the Charter box. Many of these, depending on the model and the connection to the TV, have a volume and/or mute function of their own that may have been activated or changed.

Edited by Dan - Master Tech on 11/24/2009 at 3:52 AM EST
Experience: Nearly 4 decades of installing and repairing TV's of all types.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'll try pwering down the cable box and check the wired connections. You've been both patient and helpful! Thank you!
I appreciate the accept. One final option would be to connect another device in place of the cable box using the same cables. This would help to determine if the problem in in the box, the TV or even the wiring.