Steve
Steve, Technician
Experience:  Over 40 years experience ISCET Certified in Biomedical & Consumer Electronics
22470440

How do I get rid of a black box blocking the picture on the

Customer Question

How do I get rid of a black box blocking the picture on the screen of my Misubishi TV.
Category: TV
Expert:  Rod replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer

Do you have the original remote for the TV? Closed Captioning has been enabled and you will need to press the CC or Caption button on the original remote. This could take up to four presses are more, as there are four basic Closed Captioning Formats. Each press of the CC button should display a mode/format, and OFF when you hit the off sequence.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Yes I have the original remote. I do not have a CC on the remote.

Expert:  Rod replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer

Not all remotes have the CC button, and you have to go into the menu option to disable Closed Captioning. However, the button may not be labeled CC, it could be C+, Cap/Caption, or something similar. But the black box you are getting is the closed captioning. I do not have the technical information for that model, so I do not have a picture of what your remote looks like to be able to point you more exactly.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I do not have a closed caption on my tv. The tv is 16 years old, if that helps.

Expert:  Rod replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer

Are you using a cable box, satellite receiver, or ATSC converter? Then closed captioning signal is being sent from the signal source to the TV. How are you getting a signal to the TV?

Thanks,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I cable tv.
Expert:  Rod replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer

Are you using a cable box or direct connection to the cable? If you have a cable remote, see if there is a CC button or similar on the cable remote to disable closed captioning.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have direct connection to cable.
Expert:  Rod replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer

Closed captioning was mandated in 1993. All TVs manufactured after July 1, 1993 are to have closed captioning capabilities. Depending when your TV was manufactured, it most likely has a closed captioning capability - as most manufacturers began the closed captioning capability before the deadline.

Have you accessed the TV menu and checked for closed captioning option and turned it off?

Do you get the black box on all channels? Do you have the black box with a VCR or DVD playback (if attached)?

Thanks,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Here is what is on the menu.

First time set up:

-Clock

-Memorize chanels

-Rename the inputs

-Video mute:off

Advanced Features:

-Parent lock: off

-Super wuick view

-Power restore: on

Expert:  Rod replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer

The block you are seeing is coming from a closed captioning signal - since I do not have any technical information for you specific model, I will opt out and perhaps another expert can assist.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

OK, thanks anyway. Will this sight automatacly go to another expert?

Expert:  Rod replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer

I passed this on to another expert, but I do not know if he has the technical information. This will be open for any TV expert to pick up.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OK thank you.
Expert:  Steve replied 7 years ago.
Hello, using the original Mitsubishi remote: press the Video button several times until "CC" or "Caption" is displayed. Then, use the adjust up and down to turn this to "Off."

Please let me know if you have any questions, or if I can help in any way.
Steve, Technician
Experience: Over 40 years experience ISCET Certified in Biomedical & Consumer Electronics
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OMG, thank you so much, it worked!!
Expert:  Steve replied 7 years ago.
You are very welcome, and thank you!