Dan - Master Tech
Dan - Master Tech, Master Electronic Technician
Experience:  Nearly 4 decades of installing and repairing TV's of all types.

I have an LG 52LG50 purchased a little over year ago. In September

Customer Question

I have an LG 52LG50 purchased a little over year ago. In September 2009 3 weeks before the warranty expired the TV would not stay on - OR OFF!

Coming home from work one day, pressing the power button the TV clicked on powered up showed the picture then BAM shut off! As soon as it shut off it clicked back on and repeated the cycle. Pressing the remote or buttons on the set had no effect. The only way to keep it off was to unplug it.

Now, if I let the TV sit unplugged overnight, the next day the TV powers on and stays on. If I turn it off, it does not stay off it just clicks back on immediately- then stays on.

Since it was under warranty, LG sent it out for repair. 4 days after getting it back, same symptoms. So I had the TV sent a SECOND time. Got it back after LG extending the warranty worked fine for a week and now same issue.

First time they replaced the "main/mother" board, second time a second part. I think having to do with the IR receiver.

Worried to send it in a 3rd time
Category: TV
Expert:  Dan - Master Tech replied 4 years ago.
GreetingsCustomer based on what you have mentioned as to what has been replaced so far, there isn't really much left that can cause the problem you described. Whenever I receive a TV in my shop, or make a service call for the same problem, the first thing I suspect is the tact switch control panel. This is the set of switches and circuit board for the Volume, Channel, etc. functions. If one of the miniature momentary-contact switches malfunctions, or if there is a problem on the circuit board they are mounted on, it is very possible for one or more functions to activate on their own. Normally the easiest way to confirm or eliminate this as a suspect is to disconnect the wiring from the control board to the main board. This still allows control by the remote and if the problem stops, then replacing the board is easily done.

In your situation, given the fact that this problem has existed since before the original warranty expired, I don't see a problem with having it serviced one more time. Ultimately, if they fail to fix the problem, they should provide you with a replacement or credit toward purchasing a new TV.

If you need additional information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks Dan,

Leaving the TV unplugged overnight does not "fix" the problem anymore like I discribed. This mornign the TV just keeps clicking on and off :(

Here is what I'm trying to figure out:

1)Why would the TV work of for 4-5 days after being serviced then have the same problem? Is it something I'm doing wrong? We didn't have this problem untill we purchased an LG blueray player (BD390). (I seriusly think there is a bug with the Blueray and LG's "Simplink")

2)You're right, if it's failed to be fixed again, a replacement or credit should be due. This seems like a difficult battle. Who do I request that through, the service tech or LG? Any tips to sweet talk them into doing it?
OK, I wasn't aware of the additional equipment. As a process of elimination, disconnect any extra connections and equipment, power everything off but the TV and see if the problem persists. If the problem stops, connect it up everything one at a time to see what may trigger the problem. It is possible the Simplink is causing problems, I have seen it happen in other equipment.

If the TV continues to have the same issue when disconnected, contact LG and explain the situation. If you need to talk to a supervisor, don't hesitate to ask. LG has been one of the more accommodating companies in my experience.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If you look in the "already tried" section. I've already tried removing all additional equipment.

This is what I can't figure out, is the TV damaged or not?

"1)Why would the TV work of for 4-5 days after being serviced then have the same problem?"

Am i'm "frying" the TV when hooking up external devices such as my laptop or camera or blueray player?

Yes, there could be a problem with connecting the LG components and trying to use the Simplink. This should not be caused by any devices such as a laptop or camera. My advice to any of my customers who purchased LG products is to turn off the Simplink and use a universal remote such as a Harmony to control all the devices. This is due to the frequent troubles relating to the Simplink over HDMI. As far as it working for 4 or 5 days and then acting up, it may take that long for a component to break down and cause the problem you are having. Since many components operate in an upper level mode, it doesn't take much to cause them to malfunction when all parameters are not correct.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How do I reset the TV to factory default?
Unlike other brands and models, in this TV there is no owner accessible master reset of any kind. Instead, LG has a reset option for the Picture and for the Audio settings in the Menu. While these would be of little use in your situation, I would suggest going into the Menu, if you are able, and turn off the Simplink function. This will disable any influence on the TV by signals over the HDMI input.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The TV has had simplink off.

Turning Simplink on actually helps a little bit. If the tv keeps turning on and off and I power on the blueray player, it keeps the TV on and I can use it as normal.

I'm getting fed up with this TV, LG and their support. I'm about 1 phone call away from making a youtube video of me smashing the TV in with a bat while playing the recordings of the rediculous phone calls.

I'm willing to open up the TV to reset to default if needed. Just need to know what to do once the cover is off.
There is no physical reset of any kind such as a hidden button or otherwise. I find it interesting that the Simplink actually helps to keep the TV on. It does confirm that it is an associated problem though and that the internal processor in the TV is somehow corrupt. Since any "factory reset" only adjusts customer settings, it is extremely unlikely to have any effect on your problem, even if it had a "master reset". Any information embedded in the EEPROM IC and other control circuitry would be unaffected. The only way these are reset is when they are replaced at the factory.

The only other exception would be a firmware update using the USB port. Different versions of this model TV has been known to have issues with turning on and off on certain DTV channels. Since you mentioned that the main board had originally been replaced, I assumed that this would not be needed. If you have the stamina to withstand another call to LG, ask what their current firmware version is and if they can supply it to you. It is a file around 48MB in size and would utilize a USB thumbdrive/memory stick.

Edited by Dan - Master Tech on 12/1/2009 at 2:04 AM EST