Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

When I turn on my Sharp flat-screen television the screen go

When I turn on my Sharp flat-screen television the screen goes black. I have to turn it on and off several times before the picture finally stays on. This occurs every time the tv has been off and I turn it on.
Category: TV
Expert:  Gina-Mod replied 5 years ago.
Hello:

I'm sorry a TV Expert has not assisted you yet.

Do you still need help with this?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes.
Expert:  Gina-Mod replied 5 years ago.
Hello:

I will try to find someone to help you.

Thank you for your patience!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I found some more info. It is a 26" Sharp liquid-crystal TV, the model # XXXXX XXXXX S.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-When the unit doesn't turn on, what exactly does it do? (light blink, click noise, ect)

-How old is the unit?

- Once the set is on do you have any problems with it at all?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,

Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

When you try to turn it on and the screen goes black you can still hear the volume of what ever channel the television is tuned to. After repeatedly turning the unit on and off it eventually will have the picture. You can then watch the unit for hours and hours with no issues whatsoever.

It is a 3 year old television.

Thanks.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.

Ok, when you turn it on and it is black, press the menu button on the tv itself or the Sharp remote, does the menu show up?

Tim

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It does not.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.

There are several things that can cause this. Please tell me a little more about your situation so I know where to go with my answer.

What kind of information are you looking for? Trying to fix this yourself or get a good idea of whats wrong and what it will cost?

If you are trying to repair this yourself, what kind of electronic repair experience do you have, do you know how to use a meter and solder?

Please let me know!

Thanks,

Tim

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Mostly trying to get an idea of what is wrong with it and what it would cost to fix. We could buy a new one for $300.00 so I am reluctant to take it to a repair shop if it is going to be similarly costly. It just gets very frustrating when you have to spend 5 minutes repeatedly turning the unit on and off to finally get a picture. Is it on its way to dying? Thanks.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.

There is a couple of different things that I can think of that could cause this problem...HOWEVER the problem is that the minimum that I can think it will cost is around $225 so I don't think there is going to be any feasible way that you are going to get this set repaired. I truly am sorry to bring you the bad news, I do think it is in your best interest to get a new set.

I think you could have a bad power supply (about $225 repair), bad main board, about $400 repair, or a bad LCD panel, about $1500 repair, (yes, I do mean $1500, the part alone is $1100!!)

Again I am sorry to bring you the bad news, please let me know if I can do anything else for you.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please never accept an answer until you are 100% satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback. If I have answered your questions and met your needs then please press the green "accept" button. Otherwise please feel free to ask anything else to get your problem resolved. Positive feedback is always appreciated!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan

Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience: Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.