Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.

Why does my tv screen go blank a few minutes after being turned

Why does my tv screen go blank a few minutes after being turned on? Also,why when I push the power button on the set the power sometimes just blink on and off?
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-When the picture goes off, does the tv stay on or shut off as well?

-How old is the unit?

- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game counsel, ect.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,

Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The tv stays on but the screen goes blank. I've had the tv less than a yr. It occurred before but it came back on after I turned the power swich off and back on after a few seconds. I currently have the Comcast digital cable box on when it occur's.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

Ok this one is kinda tricky...I need to know when the picture goes away in a dark room do you see a slight glow to the screen?

The reason this is tricky is because it is very difficult to see this glow in some cases, you might need a pitch black room in order to see the glow. Please let me know what you see.

Thanks,

Tim

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
unable to do that at this time because the se will not come on. I push the power button and the standby light just blinks on and off.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

There are several things that can cause this. Please tell me a little more about your situation so I know where to go with my answer.

What kind of information are you looking for? Trying to fix this yourself or get a good idea of whats wrong and what it will cost?

If you are trying to repair this yourself, what kind of electronic repair experience do you have, do you know how to use a meter and solder?

Please let me know!

Thanks,

Tim

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Not trying to repair myself just trying to get a good idea of what is wrong & if there is a simple solution to solve it myself without making any repairs.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

Well unfortunately I think I have bad news for you...

What you are describing sounds like a bad LCD panel, which would mean a new tv for you because the part is more than the cost of a new set. However you could have a bad connection on an internal connector called the LVDS cable. To check this however would require the back to be removed by a professional and the connection checked. There is a small percentage that this is your problem. In a lot of cases with these LCD televisions we see the panels fail in the exact same scenario that you have given here. Turn the tv on and the picture is good for a few seconds or minutes and then it goes black. Also blinking on and off is common in a LCD failure, then also when they go bad all the way they will cause the set not to come on at all exactly like you are explaining.

There are a couple of other options that could be causing this also but none of which are going to be cost effective. The price on the new sets have come down so far that repairing these small ones is next to impossible. I have not see and do not know of any simple fix or cheap repair for your situation, I see hundreds of televisions every month and to my knowledge a quick fix is not out there.

I am sorry to bring you the bad news tonight, please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please never accept an answer until you are 100% satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback. If I have answered your questions and met your needs then please press the green "accept" button. Otherwise please feel free to ask anything else to get your problem resolved. Positive feedback is always appreciated!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan

Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience: Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.