Eric, Technician
Experience:  TV Repairman for over 30 years, still working in the field

Sony SXRD tv will not turn on. Will display picture w/ sound

Customer Question

Sony SXRD tv will not turn on. Will display picture w/ sound for about one second and then go to standby w/ a blinking red light. Red light flashes four times in a row. I checked the fan in the rear of TV and it turns just for that second that tv is on...I also checked the lamp..because I just replaced it a couple of weeks ago to see if it was secure
and in place and that was fine,also checked the door to lamp and it was secure and in place
Category: TV
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

Hello my name is Eric,

Welcome to Just Answer

I can help you with this issue,

Four blinks is usually the error code for a bad fan, usually its the big one in the rear vent, but could be an other one.

Try spinning the fan with a straw (poke it through the vent)

(#53) Power Supply Block Fan 8-835-859-11 MOTOR, DC SFF22A/C-NP

(#51) Main Exhaust Fan 8-835-860-11 MOTOR, DC SFF21C/C-NP This one

(#53) Optical Block Fan 8-835-859-11 MOTOR, DC SFF22A/C-NP

(#57) Main Chassis Fan 1-787-333-11 D.C. FAN

If you need more help please tell me

What number best describes you

1. I just want to know what to expect a repairman to charge me,

2.I want to try pushing buttons and checking connections

3. I will open the TV if needed, but have limited tools and skills

4. I have technical skills and have a soldering iron and or voltmeter

If I have helped you with your issue please click accept.

If you have more questions you can still respond until this post expires,

I will reply asap

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I will open the tv if needed,but have limited tools and skills

Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

You can use a flashlight to see if both fans spin upon turn on.

Here is a photo of the rear fans with two arrows pointing at the fan vents

graphic

The fans are not that hard to replace , just a philps screw driver is needed

The middle (rt side) fan is (#57) Main Chassis Fan 1-787-333-11 D.C. FAN

Left side (#51) Main Exhaust Fan 8-835-860-11 MOTOR, DC SFF21C/C-NP

I'll bet one on them does not even spin, its stuck or won't spin freely.

I will reply asap

Thanks

Edited by Eric on 11/16/2009 at 5:37 PM EST
Eric, Technician
Experience: TV Repairman for over 30 years, still working in the field
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

its the fan on the same side of the lamp that is not working.I was able to take the cover off the tv..but i see a bunch of cables..now are these cables all for the fan or is there just one....also do you have a part number for that fan

Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

There is just one connector for the fan, just make sure you do not remove the fan and then forget the direction it is in. There are two screws holding it in. move the little blue things to the new fan , making sure the fan faces the same direction and where the wire goes through also.

to buy a fan click here login as a guest and search for part# XXXXX
Best of luck

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I was able to remove the fan...thank you for all your help

Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

Mark the direction it is in so you have the new one blowing air in the correct direction.

Best of luck

Thanks