Eric, Technician
Experience:  TV Repairman for over 30 years, still working in the field

Magnavox 37MF437B seems to be stuck in standby mode, With the

Customer Question

Magnavox 37MF437B seems to be stuck in standby mode, With the remote or manually the power button will not turn on or just stays red (standby). I have unplugged for over an hour, it did not work; plugged into a different outlet and it did not help. Any help would be appreciated.

Category: TV
Expert:  Eric replied 6 years ago.

Hi my name is Eric,

I can help you with your issue ,

Here is what it sounds like it might be:

Either the power supply has an issue , or you have a bad panel

A repairman will usually just order the boards and you will spend over $300 probably around $350

It could be just a few bad capacitors on the power supply, if you want to attempt the repair yourself you can do a visual of the power board, caps will appear swollen on top if they are bad.

Look at the photos I am uploading to see what a bulging cap looks like

With the back and any metal cover removed you will see a few circuit boards the upper or left one (ac cord runs to it through a small board) is the power supply, it has alot of capacitors on it (cylindrical standing straight up soldered in and marked on the sides with the positive/negative sides and uf and Voltage values)

Flat panels use 1000uf, 2200uf or 3300uf at 10v, 16 or 35Volts rating capacitors, they cost about $1-$2 each usually I replace two of them (or all the bulged on top ones) .

click here

The power board and back unscrew with a screwdriver.

If you do not know how to desolder and resolder then do not attempt this as you may damage the TV more than fix it.

We do not recommend do it yourself, but depending on your knowledge and technical ability you may be able to.

You can replace the whole power supply, but there may be a few versions in these sets and some so called replacements won't fit due differences in the models,so make sure if you order a board you check the version numbers first

If there is a blinking red light on the TV count the blinks,if it still blinks after replacing the swollen cap this would indicate a bad board or panel ,

check the capacitors by looking for the swollen tops I hope thats all it is (usually is).

here is Philips Phone 1-888-744-5477 in case you need it for exact part numbers for the boards

If you feel good about my solution please click accept.

If you have more questions you can still respond until this post expires,

I will reply asap

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi Eric:

Thanks for the reply. Could I replace the power supply and not have to do any soldering?

Mike (Customer)

Expert:  Eric replied 6 years ago.

Thats correct.

check it first