Rick williams
Rick williams, Technician

I have an RCA LCD TV. L32HD31YX16. It was fine. Shut it off

Customer Question

I have an RCA LCD TV. L32HD31YX16. It was fine. Shut it off with the remote, want out for 30 minutes, came back, turned it on, the indicator light in the front under the RCA logo came on, but no picture, no sound. Any ideas?
Category: TV
Expert:  Rick williams replied 6 years ago.
unplug unit for 60 sec. if no go let me know
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
did that all ready
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry, did that all ready and it made no difference.

(Please click on high lighted words)

First push the menu button with the set s remote and if nothing comes up then

Friend this is a very common problem with LCD and also DLP within the power supply the capacitors

Start to fail and the way you can tell is to check them visually for swelling or expanding of the top.

It will be easy to see the bad caps will not be as flat on the top as the good ones, this is the problem,

Exchange them and you will be ok, Well good luck friend. And if it doesn't work make sure the power supply is sending 24v to the inverters when you turn the set on your meter should climb but won't reach 24v because unit will shut down and if so we ruled out the inverters or backlight I seen this problem also caused by the signal board it has a power on command missing and it looks like the power supply is bad but actually it's the signal board, it may be labeled on the board a active high or low 5v which sends the command to the power supply.

Good luck friend, and if unit works fine, feedback and a bonus will be appreciated

Capacitor pictures inverter pictures... cold spray can be used if your set works for awhile then shuts down.

Hope my efforts are appreciated.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Well, so far you have only asked me to do things I told you in my original post that I all ready tried, then followed that up with a bunch of stuff only an electronics expert would have any idea what you are talking about. So if this is all you've got, return my $17 to my pay pal account and we'll be done.

Ok,, yes friend you have a tv that needs to be tested to find the bad part,,

Sorry, you dont have a novice fix..

Wish you luck