Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician
Experience:  20+ years experience TV expert in the main
18621325

I have a Samsung 46 LCD TV. It is model number LN46A650A1FXZA.

Customer Question

I have a Samsung 46" LCD TV. It is model number LN46A650A1FXZA. The problem is that it has become difficult to turn on. It "clicks" on & off several times, and often finally comes on but with a pink screen, with sound. Other times the screen has a lot of vertical lines, no sound except for a loud buzz for about 15 seconds and then it goes off again. Finally, it will come on and stay on normally. Once it is on, everything is OK. For the last couple of days, we have just left the TV on (24 hours, etc.) and picture, sound are OK.What appears to be wrong?
Thanks!
Category: TV
Expert:  Anthony_Infotech replied 4 years ago.

Hello

Thanks for using this service

Welcome to JA

Most likely is bad electrolytic capacitors in the powerpack

They either dry-out,leak electrolyte,or the dielectric swells due to overvoltage stress

Samsung term their powerpacks as IP boards available here

http://www.partstore.com/Model/Samsung/Samsung/LN46A650A1FXZC.aspx

If you take the back off the set the IP board is in the middle very easy to change

If you would like to repair the board yourself by replacing the capacitors let me know but you would need to know how to solder and de-solder and have a good soldering iron

Regards

Anthony

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the quick reply.
I forgot to include that my TV was bought in July 2008, so is fairly new.
If it is the powerpacks/IP board, as I said the TV works great as long as it stays on---does the powerpack/IP board just control the aspect of starting up--on/off, etc.---- but doesn't have anything to do with the power of the unit once it is on and operating OK?
I have quite a bit of experience soldering things---mostly on older radios that have larger caps with longer leads, etc. If I wanted to try to repair the IP board, is there a diagram you could point me to that would show the capacitor(s) and values---also where can I buy the exact replacements?
On the other hand, would you suggest that I just replace the IP board instead of attempting to repair it? I looked at the link to the "Partstore" that you provided---which IP board would be for my TV?
Thanks!

Hello

I think I could send you a diagram of the board and capacitors it will save you a lot of money!

If you can solder and desolder thats fine

Unfortunately I cant blow the picture I have of the powerboard without losing definition

Basically what you need to do and it wont be a big job is to replace them all EXCEPT for the big ones I can see quite a lot in the output and a spreading of smaller ones but theirs not that many,if you see any swollen or leaking they are the most suspect

If need be I will upload that picture of the board itself.

You need to have a look yourself and its the board in the middle low down in the set,the other board covered is the mainboard and should be ok

Its very easy to take out and with your knowledge you will be fine

The electrolytic capacitors are available from radio shack or similiar

I think either board as one is a refurb from partstore.

The schematics nowadays are woeful for samsung

So take board out and examine you will see the electrolytic capacitors yourself it may even be obvious whats failed

Let me know how you go

Anthony

Anthony_Infotech, Technician
Experience: 20+ years experience TV expert in the main
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It would be great if you could upload a copy of board diagram.
Thanks!

Hello

OK

I will upload what I can be about an hour

Anthony

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks!
Will the diagram be sent to me by email or will I need to go to a certain web site to see it?

Also, I just wanted to be certain I understood---in your opinion, my TV could work OK when it is finally on, but the bad IP Board could be causing the TV to be difficult to get turned on---is that correct?

Thanks again.

Hello again

Yes I will upload to file sharing site mediafire (turn pop up blocker on here)

Yes the capacitors because they are failing are making it difficult for the set to start up once they are replaced with the correct values and working voltages the set will start up ok everytime,you see once the set has started the capacito is affected by heat generated by the set itself that makes the capacitor perform better

OK uploading

Back in 20-30 minutes

Anthony

Hello

Here the link

www.mediafire.com/infotech65

Sorry its not the best as I had to expand it

Anthony

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
When I click on the link you provided, it says: "50v500a light engine fix".
Is this correct?
Thanks!

Hello

No thats not it

I would have took it down please check again in 30 minutes

Same link

Anthony

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks. I was able to download and see the picture you posted. I feel it is actually fairly clear.
I may just go the route of replacing the IP Board rather than replacing all of the caps on the board.
I do have a question---when I go to the link you had given me for the Parts Store, there are several IP boards---which one do I need to buy?
Thanks!

Hello

BN44-00202A

Worth looking on ebay too for pulled panels

hope this helps

Anthony

Edited by Anthony Pr on 10/30/2009 at 1:13 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I ordered the board (BN44-00202A) from the Parts Store and replaced it, but the TV does what it was doing---turns itself on & off; when it comes on,there is usually either a pink screen with sound, or vertical lines of various colors with no sound. When it actually works OK for a minute or so, the screen then usually freezes and then the set goes off by itself.
Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Hello

OK

This ordinarily would have been the powerpack in 99 out of 100 times,I have done many similiar issues the one thing I need to understand is when you fitted the power board has it been doing the same thing right away?ie the set never worked only now to start showing fault again?

Anthony

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hello, The history is that about a month ago, the TV started showing a pink screen with sound or vertical lines of various colors with sound. It was also difficult to get on but once on and working OK it seemed OK. So, we began leaving the TV on 24/7 and turned off the broadcasting by turning off the cable box.
Then about two weeks ago it started to turn itself off and on or the picture froze on the screen with no sound and then about 15 seconds later, the TV turned itself off & on again, then all we could get it to do was the pink screen with sound or vertical lines of various colors with sound. At that point I ordered the power supply board and installed it. When the TV was turned on the first thing it did was the pink screen with sound. The menu options still work and shows on the screen, but the display is usually either the pink screen with sound or vertical lines of various colors with sound; occasionally the normal picture (with sound) actually works OK for about 15 seconds then the picture freezes with no sound and the set turns itself off, etc. The behavior is the same before & after the board was installed. Thanks!

Hello

OK you may have an issue with the mainboard/firmware or the TCONN board this is the LCD driver board OR the LVDS cable that feeds the TCONN board,I'm going to see if I can obtain some more info

Regards

Anthony

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks.
I look forward to hearing about what you are able to find out to hopefully try to "narrow" down the options.

Hello

I think you still have had a bad powerpack examination of the original powerpack would probably prove this, if you was to examine the capacitors, if you need more info on this let me know

I think you have cured one issue of poor starting and are now left with the pink screen and vertical lines and shutting down, this I feel is the TCONN board or LVDS lead,the TCONN board is at the top in the middle and the LVDS lead goes up from the mainboard turns a sharp left into the TCONN, you need first to take the LVDS lead out and just clean it where it connects both into the mainboard and TCONN as it can become oxidised, clean with dry cloth the connections or with meths if you have some

Please let me know how this initial try goes

Anthony

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'll try to clean the LVDS lead --what is the "meths" that you refer to?
I have some Deoxit D5 spray---should I use that?
Thanks!

Hello

Hmm im not sure about that I use methylated spirit as it evaporates very quickly

If its alcohol based I would think its ok, you see its signals at low voltage here so you have to be careful

Anthony

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I cleaned the LVDS lead--both ends as well as the contacts on each board.
The TV is doing the same thing---pink screen with sound or sometimes a loud buzzing sound for about 15econds and then it turns itself off, etc.

So, am I correct that the only other two big boards which are likely culprits are theTCONN board and the main board? Is the main board the one with all of the audio/video inputs?

What are the part numbers for the TCONN board, the main board and the LVDS cable?
Thanks.

Hello again

Theirs also the display itself which are not uncommon to fail.

I will get you them part numbers from the service manual

Anthony

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for getting me the part numbers. I look forward to getting them. Regarding the display, since the menu options are visible on the screen even though there is the pink screen or vertical lines, does that not mean that the display is OK?
Thanks.

Hello

I would think the display is ok if you can do this, I wasnt aware you had time to bring this up before the set shut down,its always best if you can provide me with as much info as possible no matter how small

OK the part numbers are

From the service manual

BN94-01666B Mainboard (however their are 3 or 4 different types this is the one indicated for your model but please check with the ref numbers

BN96-07161M LVDS cable

BN81-01697A Not in the service manual as its considered part of display but samsung had a plague of failures so introduced them as a part

www.encompassparts.com have these sign in as a guest

Regards

Anthony

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is the Board # XXXXX TCONN board?
Also, is the main board, the one at the lower right (when looking at the back of the set)---with all of the AV inputs?
Thanks.

Hello

Sorry yes although its not listed in service manual apparently released later as a part, originally only supplied with the display

Yes mainboard is one with av inputs

Regards

Anthony