Dan - Master Tech
Dan - Master Tech, Master Electronic Technician
Experience:  Nearly 4 decades of installing and repairing TV's of all types.
12940042

My Samsung HLS6187WX/XAA TV turns off on its own then if you

Customer Question

My Samsung HLS6187WX/XAA TV turns off on its own then if you turn it back on it may last 5 min. or all day. What can I do?
Submitted: 4 years ago via PartStore.
Category: TV
Expert:  Dan - Master Tech replied 4 years ago.
GreetingsCustomer when your TV shuts down, the three lights on the front panel should help give an indication of the problem depending on which one(s) light or blink.

The problem with your Samsung TV L66A's chassis may be as simple as replacing the lamp if it has not been replaced recently. You can purchase a replacement from the following supplier:

Click here=> DiscountMerchant - on this page you will find the lamp along with a video on how to replace it into the existing lamp housing.

Click here=> DiscountMerchant - this is for the lamp w/housing

If the lamp has recently been changed, then there may be a problem with the ballast. This is the circuit responsible for supplying the start-up and operating voltage of the lamp.

If you need additional details or information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
lamp has been changed. what is the ballast and how do i fix it?
As I mentioned in my prior post, do the front panel lights blink or stay lit when it powers down? If so, which ones?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
sorry it took so long to get back to you had to go out of town. back now when it goes off it clicks and the red light comes on
OK, which light? From left to right, there are three indicators on the front of the TV labeled STANDBY/TEMP, TIMER and LAMP.

After it shuts down, can you turn it back on right away?

If not, how long does it take?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the light is the stand by/temp. yes you can turn it back on and it may last 5 min. or it may work all day.
The fact that there is no indication by the error reporting circuit of the L66A chassis as to a particular problem area may indicate something as simple as a defective tact switch. A tact switch is one of the momentary contact switches used for functions such as Power, Volume, Channel, etc. on the front panel. One way to determine if the tact switch is causing the problem is to disconnect the lead to the chassis and use the remote control to operate the TV. Another potential problem area would be the power supply itself. Anything from boderline tolerance electrolytic capacitors to poor solder connections on the circuit board or even the power relay could create the same symptoms. The difficulty with troubleshooting your particular problem is that it is random with no obvious sign of fault. Often times it requires a part or board substitution based on the history of that chassis model and any visual signs of component defect.

If you need additional information, please let me know.

Edited by Dan - Master Tech on 10/28/2009 at 2:09 AM EST