Joe, Electronic Tech
Experience:  Over 30 years in electronics, Board Repair, TV's, Gaming,

Hitachi 51 widescreen projection TV. 7 years old. After being

Hitachi 51" widescreen projection TV. 7 years old. After being on for an hour or 2 it starts to flicker. It is noticable on dark scenes. Sporting events, outdoor shows its not noticable. An inside scene or dark scene it flashes like a strobe light.
Category: TV
Expert:  Joe replied 7 years ago.
Hitachi are known to get garbage in ther Processor IC And to reset it you have to unplug the TV for about 30Min. and then plug it back in, it should be OK then. Good luck.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Unplugged it and let it set for several hours Saturday. Plugged it back up and after about 90 minutes it started flashing again. Any other suggestions?

Expert:  Joe replied 7 years ago.
You might Leakey cap around the high voltage section, a electrolytic gap, they might look good but the ESR could be bad. Also check in the power supply. Maybe you can send Me a pic of what is going on.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Is it worth fixing if it has the problem you mention? I live in a rural area and on site repairmen are scarce. The one I talked to said it could cost $500 if I bring to them.

Expert:  Joe replied 7 years ago.

Hitachi is a good TV but I would not pay anymore than that and he is only going to warranty the parts that he puts in, so keep that in mine, But it all up to you. What you you want to do. Maybe you should go out and look at some LCDs. Take care.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
You wanna reccomend one?