Josh C
Josh C, Technician
Experience:  I have been an electronics technician for 17 years, Tv's VCR's, DVD players, home and car audio.

I have a mitsubishi WD-65737 that if left unplugged for days

Customer Question

I have a mitsubishi WD-65737 that if left unplugged for days may work for a little while (1-2 hours) and then the screen goes black and system appears to be dead. it did have the bulb replaced once. this unit is only about 6 months old and has not worked most of the time.
Category: TV
Expert:  Jeff the TV Guy replied 4 years ago.
You should have an authorized service center look at the TV. There are about 4-5 things that could be wrong with the TV.

Lamp
Ballast
Power Supply
Main Board
Optical Block
Cooling Fans

If it is under warranty(all Mitsubishi DLP TVs have a 1 year warranty) you should have them get it fixed.

Please let me know if you would like me to help find someone to fix your TV.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Jeff,

thanks for your response. part of the problem is that I am on an island in Alaska and to ship this tv to a repair center would cost almost what it is worth. I have worked on office equipment for many years and am somewhat savvy on fixing things. any way to narrow down the problem? Jim (Ketchikan, Alaska 99901)

I am sorry it took so long for me to get back to you.

I currently have no access to Mitsubishi databases.

I will refer another expert to you for assistance, and would not have tried to find a repair center for you if I knew where you lived.

I wish you the best, XXXXX XXXXX!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks for your input. jim
Expert:  Josh C replied 4 years ago.

Welcome Jim!

Hows life in the Aleutians?

Fellow Alaskan here... I am from Palmer / Wasilla!

Unfortunately, this is a bad bad problem in the works... You can fix this set (for now) by replacing the main capacitors in the power supply board.. But you will have other problems soon... the known-problem caps on the power supply board will be labeled (C9A37, C9A38, C9A51, C9A52, C9A61 and C9A62)

You can order replacements from www.mouser.com

Otherwise, from what you are describing, I would say that you are encountering the "famous" problems of the Mitsubishi v26 chassis based tv's - Mitsubishi has used this chassis in almost ALL of the DLP tv's they made, and they are loaded with problems..In my opinion they are complete lemons.

As a matter of fact-- I just tossed a WD-52525 in the dumpster a few weeks ago - the customer didn't want it back, and I could not even justify spending the time on it to keep it for myself...It was sad to have to do it though..

There are almost 50 capacitors in this set on the DM board, Format board, Power supply and the Terminal boards that were cheaply made, and go out of specs making this tv do many different "strange" things until the capacitors on the DM board go completely bad. and the tv will simply sit flashing the green timer led and do nothing.

This is known as the "flashing green light of death" -- You may want to google "mitsubishi dlp lawsuit" I have heard of several class-action suits against mitsu for these sets.

Mitsubishi is supposedly offering a refurbishment service on these chassis' and I have heard several different prices - from $250 to $850... you may want to give mitsubishi a call and see what they say, but honestly for that kind of money, I would recommend investing it in a new set..

I have worked on several of these sets, and I now just refuse to touch them due to the fact that they are so problem riddled--between the bad capacitors in the chassis, the light engine problems and the bad thermistors in the set, (not to mention how long the DLP lamps last) ....when you DO repair one, and something ELSE fails 2 months later, it makes it look like it "wasnt fixed right the first time"------ It's a complete customer relations nightmare!

The other possibility could be the light engine, but this problem sounds more like the capacitors in the chassis are finally giving out.I can 99% Gaurantee it.

I really wish I could give you better news, as I have to agree that a 4000.00 tv should last a bit longer than 3-4 years....

I hope I have given you helpful information, but if you want more IN DEPTH infromation, let me know...I have PAGES on these sets...

Here is a thread you might also want to check out regarding the problems related to these sets.

http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11430

If you need more info, let me know!

Josh C, Technician
Experience: I have been an electronics technician for 17 years, Tv's VCR's, DVD players, home and car audio.