Chuck Williams
Chuck Williams, Technician
Experience:  Over 25 years of experience servicing AV electronics to component level, ISF and THX Cert.

I have a big screen tv and the color is going out. There is

I have a big screen tv and the color is going out. There is too much red. I've tried adjusting the color but there is still alot of red. What can be done and about how much would it cost?

When a color TV picture has a "color" problem, the first thing we have to do is determine if it's really a color problem or a black and white problem.

All color TV pictures, whether low def or HD, are made up of a black and white signal and a color signal mixed in with it.

What I need you to do is evaluate a black and white program. You can just turn down the color control in the user menu if you don't have a black and white program.

So try looking at black and white. Does the black and white picture look relatively black and white, or is it obviously tinted red?

If so, is it just a reddish picture, or is there a kind of red-blue separation, almost like 3D without the glasses?

Check that out and let me know!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
not sure how to get to black and white, but I turned the color down and I still see red.

Is it just a red picture or is there a red-blue separation?

Did this just happen all of a sudden?

I'll be offline for a while, but back later this evening.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
its a red tint picture. Its been getting worse over time.

What I think you have going on is that your green tube is developing a problem and is not putting out enough light. In that case, the picture becomes more and more "magenta," which looks purplish-red.

If that's the case, you either have a problem in the green tube or the green CRT drive card.

Do you have a digital camera? If so, take a picture of a black and white program (color at zero is fine) and upload it here so that I can see. Use the "Tree" icon to browse for the picture on your computer.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok, here are the pictures. Not sure how to upload them though.

In your reply window, do you see something that looks like below?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My reply window doesn't look like that. There is just a box that says reply.

Well, gee, I'm not sure what to tell you.

If your black and white picture is obviously red, there are two real possibilities going on. One is that your red tube is defective, and is overpowering the blue and green tubes. If that's the case, that's pretty much the end of this TV. You certainly wouldn't want to spend the money to have a tube installed, and besides, they aren't available and your original would have to be rebuilt.

The second possibility is that your picture is really magenta, not red, and that would mean that the green tube has a problem. Ironically, the tube is probably OK (unlike a defective red tube that's too intense), and that can be caused by a defective CRT drive card. The tube could also be bad, it's just not as likley.

I think the best bet for you is to consider having a tech come and give you an estimate, but if the cost of repair is going to be any more than $450, buy a new TV instead. In fact, you may want to skip paying the cost of an estimate and just get a new set.

Sorry I don't have more for you to go on, let me know if there's anything else I can do for you, and thanks for using JustAnswer!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for all of your assistance.

Best of luck to you, and thanks for the Accept!