Rick williams
Rick williams, Technician

Hello. My 52 RCA DLP t.v. picture is very dark . I have

My 52 RCA DLP t.v. picture is very dark . I have replaced the bulb twice. What's the problem?

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem.

If your picture is dark, once you press the menu button, then it is color wheel or the lamp that causes this. You said you replaced the lamp, with new lamp is the picture dark soon as you power up the set.

Let me know

Edited by PROJECTION TV EXPERT on 10/5/2009 at 3:23 PM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
When the set is turned on, it takes approx. 2 minutes to 3 minutes to see the picture and then the picture is dark and remains that way.

Ok, I see this is to long for the unit to turn on, your problem is the power supply or the ballast ok.

read my DLP guide below to test unit, you want to check the power supply capacitors and the voltage going to the ballast

First I would like for you to open lamp door make sure the lamp switch is in the down position, Make sure the bulb is plugged and good, remember if bulb is over a year old it is a suspect, turn unit on listen closely to a wheel start to turn first this is the color wheel and the crackling of the ballast second. If you can here the crackling or see a spark from the ballast it is good and lamp is the suspect. If not, power supply and ballast suspect. (Pull lamp out and close the door tightly then turn on unit and listen for the ballast). Also do this test Were the wire is that runs from the ballast to the power supply, make sure it reads around 300vdc if it doesn't you need a power supply if it does you need A BALLAST. You can make sure the capacitors close to the connector are flat on the top if not you may have bad capacitors. It will be easy to see if the power supply and ballast has bad capacitors they will not be as flat on the top as the good ones, this is the problem. Also intermitting shut downs, This can be caused by the lamp switch, make sure switch is in the down position and the thermostat which is on top of the lamp housing, both can be tested buy shorting them out and running TV if any are bad Exchange them and you will be ok, lastly intermitting shut downs, lines in the picture can be the digital board this is a good tip on digital board

Good luck friend, and if unit works fine, feedback and a bonus will be appreciated

Picture of a ballast Capacitor pictures

Thank you

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My t.v. is a RCA and not a Samsung which you sent information on. I don't have switches at the lamp door or a temp. device. Where would i check the incoming power to the ballast?
This is used because I find it easy to understand,,All DLP work the same way. Once you remove the back cover your bulb will plug into a connector which comes from the ballast, on the other end of the ballast is were your power supply connects, this is were you will take your reading, and if you look carefully there will be a blue toggle switch this is the switch that i'm talking about, you will be able to see it once the back is off

good luck to you friend,,

again i would replace the lamp this is what may darkin picture along with the color wheel but doubt wheel is bad