Rod, TV & Communications Sys Repair
Experience:  FCC Commercial License, Previous owner of Electronics Repair shop, 40+ years in electronic systems.
14090506

why does my component cable only show a black and white pi

why does my component cable only show a black and white picture?
Category: TV
Expert:  Rod replied 4 years ago.
HiCustomer

What are the color the cables you are connecting and from what device? Also, what is the full model number of the TV?

Thanks,

Edited by Rod on 10/4/2009 at 6:50 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have a set of grey cables hooked to my tv and to my dvd player. I also tried a pair of black component cables and my dvd player picture and video game picture still shows a black and white picture. When I turn the cable on it shows a color picture.
Expert:  Rod replied 4 years ago.
HiCustomer

Component cables are three cables - just for the video, and two cables for the audio (total 5), from your description, it appears you are not getting all of the video cables that is required for component video, or you have mixed one or two (usual cause for black and white picture). Most DVD players do not have component outputs - they have composite video, which is one video cable (colored yellow, or and S-video cable). Most people become confused, because one of the component inputs is labeled "Y" on some TVs, this is color coded Green - and if a composite signal is connected there - you will get a black and white picture.

graphic

The above picture shows component (outputs but same for inputs).

Without the exact model number, I do not have the exact specifics for your TV, but the technical information I have for the series, is that they do not have a composite input. You can use a DVD player that does upconversion with an HDMI output and connect that to the TV.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My Wii video game only comes with the component type cables and it doesnt have a s video plug in and it shows a black and white picture. my tv is the LED samsung 6000 series.
Expert:  Rod replied 4 years ago.
HiCustomer

The Wii comes with composite video cables (three RCA cables - Yellow-Video, Red and White-Audio). There is a component cable available for the Wii that you can purchase here. This is a picture of a Wii component cable - is it the same one you have?

graphic

Also, there are different models in the 6000 series, with some variations (model numbers are like UN46B6000). But the information I have is that they do not have composite video inputs (or S-Video) only HDMI or Component (5-RCA cables).

Thanks,

Edited by Rod on 10/4/2009 at 7:53 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes your right and I have the right cables and I have it hooked up right but it just keeps showing a black and white picture.

Expert:  Rod replied 4 years ago.
HiCustomer

I need the complete model number to be able to assist you better. Also, does the DVD player have component cables? Not usual.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It is a 55ub 6000 series LED samsung. My dvd player and my game console all have the componet cable. The picture and the audio works perfect, I just dont understand why the picture is black and white.

Expert:  Rod replied 4 years ago.
HiCustomer

The technical documentation is 55MB - so I'm downloading now from the Samsung service site - it will take me a little while to analyze and reply. I will get back to you.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok thanks.
Expert:  Rod replied 4 years ago.
HiCustomer

Samsug site is slow tonight. I finally got the technical document and I cannot find any reason why your component cables should not be working. One thing I would like to check is the DVD player capabilities. Can you provide the make and model number of the DVD player (it might be a resolution issue)?

Thanks,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Its an older samsung dvd player but I have a brand new Wii game and it does the same thing.
Expert:  Rod replied 4 years ago.
HiCustomer

I would like to verify the capabilities of the DVD player to ensure there is not a problem with the TV. For the Wii Game did you order a component video cable? As they do not come with the Wii?

Thanks,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The dvd player is the samsung HD860.

Expert:  Rod replied 4 years ago.
HiCustomer

Thanks - have you tried the HDMI connection from the DVD player to the TV? The reason I am asking, is that the majority of TV's video input boards are the same for all inputs. Your symptoms are that the component cable connections are not correct - using the HDMI input would at least help eliminate a problem with the video input board (also HDMI will give you better picture quality - as component is analog and has to be converted).

I would try to verify that the cables are going to the correct inputs from the outputs - do one at a time (Red - Red, Green - Green, etc) if you are not using standard component cables. As all indications are the component cables are not correct - and there is no firmware upgrades listed on the Samsung service site.

I will be going off for tonight, I can opt out if you desire, to allow another expert to pick this up, or I will return tomorrow evening.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok I would like to wait and speak with you tommorrow. The HDMI cables work fine but nothing I use with the component cables show in color. The Wii doesnt offer a HDMI cable. Thank you for all of your help, you have been great.
Expert:  Rod replied 4 years ago.
HiCustomer

I had a chance to review the technical documentation, and I have something for you to try.

The Component input ports (G, B, R) also function as an A/V (composite) input source. When you select the "source" button on the TV, the first input is A/V, so it thinks its Composite, the second press on the "source" button goes to component and it then does component.

Things you can try is first, ensure you have selected Component and not A/V. If you still are getting a black and white picture and you still have the composite cables with that came with the Wii (Yellow, Red&White) connect the yellow connector to the Green component input connector and see if you get color with the composite cables.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hey you were right if I plug the Wii directly into the tv it shows in color. I still dont understand why thats the only way it works properly when the tv is designed to use the 5 cables so I can plug more than one thing up at a time.
Expert:  Rod replied 4 years ago.
HiCustomer

The TV really has only one input port for Video cables (other than HDMI and computer). The component inputs - G,B,R (video) R&W (audio), are also the composite inputs (G-Yellow Composite cable, Red and White- Audio). So it will only run one or the other but not both. So when you select source if you are using composite video (yellow cable) when you press source its AV on the screen. If you are using component press past AV, next will be Component for the 5 cables.

Thanks,
Rod, TV & Communications Sys Repair
Experience: FCC Commercial License, Previous owner of Electronics Repair shop, 40+ years in electronic systems.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks Rod I am going to try that and I will let you know.

Expert:  Rod replied 4 years ago.
HiCustomer

Ask if you have any more questions.

Thanks,