Rod, TV & Communications Sys Repair
Experience:  FCC Commercial License, Previous owner of Electronics Repair shop, 40+ years in electronic systems.
14090506

My Toshiba 32A43 TV is intermittently going into the menu demo

My Toshiba 32A43 TV is intermittently going into the menu demo mode and I am often unable to control the TV while the menu is open and cycling through the different options. I managed to shut off demo mode but it automatically turns back on and starts the demo process after a couple of minutes. Please let me know how I can disable the demo feature so I can get back to watching TV.
Category: TV
Expert:  Rod replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer

You can stop the demo mode by pressing Recall, Exit, or powering off the unit. But you should go into the menu to disable demo mode. Attached here is an excerpt to turn off the demo mode in the menu.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Rod,

Thanks for getting back to me. I have turned off the demo mode (set to STOP) in the menu but the problem persists. I have also tried recall, exit, and powering down the unit per several other websites suggestions. After changin the menu demo setting to STOP, the TV is OK for a few minutes but the demo mode eventually starts back up. When you tab over to the demo option, it has switched back to Start. Please let me know if you have any other ideas.

Expert:  Rod replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer

Other than servicing, the only other thing you can try is to do a soft reset. This is done by removing power from the TV for about 30 minutes (longer is better). First set the menu to stop. Power off, and then remove the power. These sets do use a lot of software, sometimes a bit gets set, that doesn't clear - and removing power will do this (the time is so the capacitors and residual voltage drain). Also, it might help when you remove the power, to short the AC plug with a screwdriver - this will assist in removing residual power.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks again Rod,

I will try to do this but since I turned the TV back on - I can no longer set the demo mode to STOP. For some reason all of the controls on the remote and on the face of the TV are defeated right now except for the power button. I cannot even change the channel or set the volume. Will it work to reset if I just turn off the TV, unplug, and short the plug?

Phil

Expert:  Rod replied 7 years ago.
Hi Phil,

Yes it will still do a soft reset. It appears you are getting microprocessor errors and this should clear them up - if there is no hardware fault.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

One last dumb question and then I will be done. Thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly this morning.

How do I short the AC plug when it is removed? I've never done any electrical work before and I'm sure the answer is pretty basic but I don't want to schock myself.

Phil

Expert:  Rod replied 7 years ago.
Hi Phil,

With the plug out of the wall socket, just get a screwdriver thats about 2 inches long, and touch the metal of the screwdriver against the plug prongs - you might see a little spark. Hold the screwdriver by the plastic handle and the plug by the base.

Just a touch or two will do it.

Thanks,