Greg M
Greg M, Technician
Experience:  3+ years repairing TVs; I see 20 or 30 TVs a week and have a pretty good clue.
15800734

I have a Vizio tv and on the picture the heads are cut off

I have a Vizio tv and on the picture the heads are cut off unless a far away shot is on and also like when watching sports like football you can't see the scores because they are also cut off. Is there a way to lower the picture so you can see the hole picture?
Category: TV
Expert:  Greg M replied 7 years ago.
Possibilities:

Case: You're watching a 4:3 broadcast on a 16:9 screen. Many TVs automatically format the picture so the whole screen is filled. With a 4:3 picture this means chopping off the top and bottom of the picture and expanding the picture to fill the whole screen.
Solutions: If your satellite or cable box supports it, adjust the box's settings to provide the TV with a 16:9 signal. Change the TV's display mode. This may cause black bars to be displayed on the sides of the picture, which is normal. There is likely a button on your TV's remote to switch through the display modes.

Case: Your cable box's screen position setting needs adjusted.
Solution: Many types of cable box have a screen position setting somewhere in the menu that allows you to adjust the picture position relative the TV screen.

Case: The cable box (or possibly TV) have gone wonko.
Solution: Unplug the cable box and TV for a few minutes and re-plug them. I doubt if this is the issue in this case, but I've seen this happen several times.

Edited by Greg M on 10/3/2009 at 6:22 PM EST