Steve
Steve, Technician
Experience:  Over 40 years experience ISCET Certified in Biomedical & Consumer Electronics
22470440
TV

my tv is very dark and dim. barely see picture. i cleaned the

mirror and screen. it helped... Show More
mirror and screen. it helped some. its just not bright and clear like it should be.
Category: TV
replied 7 years ago.
Hello, is the TV menu also dark? Also, if you were to view a black and white picture (turning color down), does the picture have any color spots or haze in it?

Edited by Steve on 10/3/2009 at 2:25 AM EST
Customer reply replied 7 years ago.
No color spots. The menus do come up the same tint as the rest of the screen. When a menu is on it give a very very slight tint change on the whole screen. The whole screen seems to have a haze. The picture is no very detailed.
Steve, Technician replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for the information. The first thing to check is the lamp, especially if it has not been replaced in some time. If you were to remove the lamp and look inside the glass at the globe inside, if the globe is "blistered" or discolored, then a lamp will likely solve the problem.

If the lamp is okay, you will very likely have a defective light engine. The LCD panels in the engine are exposed, so they tend to collect with dust and block the light path. It is not recommended to try to clean these because the dust can enter other parts of the light engine.

This is an extremely expensive part: over $1000 plus shipping, tax, and labor. I recommend contacting Mitsubishi Customer Relations at (800)332-2119 and insisting (very insistent!) this part be replaced at no cost. The dust problem is common, so they should at least provide the part at no charge. The customer is usually expected to pay the labor, in the range of $200-300 in my area, depending on the trip charge. However, it will not hurt to ask for the labor also.

Important: Usually Mitsubishi requires one of their authorized servicers to check the TV first, before they will offer a concession. It is best to have an estimate of the repair from the technician before you call Mitsubishi.

I hope this information will be helpful when you call, and if I can help in any way, please let me know.

Edited by Steve on 10/3/2009 at 3:05 AM EST
Customer reply replied 7 years ago.
Just trying to clarify. When you are saying lamp you do mean the light accessed from the back not the projector that puts everything to the inside mirror?
Steve, Technician replied 7 years ago.
Yes, the lamp in the rear of the set. Unfortunately, it would have to be very discolored to cause this problem, though.
Customer reply replied 7 years ago.
i seen the lamp looked to be okay. when i turn the tv on it takes about 20 seconds for the picture to show. could this be anything?
Steve, Technician replied 7 years ago.

Unfortunately, this is a defective light engine. I have changed many of these simply because they were covered in dust.

If you were to consider the fan on a desktop computer and the amount of dust collected in the vents, this is what the light in your TV is passing through on its way to displaying the picture. The fan draws the dust into the light engine. It is a common flaw with LCD projection TVs.

I am fairly certain Mitsubishi would offer to supply the part for your set. They will take your old light engine, disassemble it, clean it, and replace any damaged filters and panels, and then resell it. Yours is certainly not the first (or the last) light engine to be covered in dust.